Copy All Records in One Table to a Dummy Table

This topic is 3123 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi, I'm working on a Database that has a lot of calculation and sub-summary.  Everything works fine when I'm on the LAN, but when I tried to test it remotely, pulling up a summary report is really really slow because of the Calculation Fields, sorting and sub summary.  So, I was thinking and read about creating a Dummy Table to dump all the records from the actual table with the calculation into a Table to store the calculated value as stored text or numbers. However, I'm having difficulty creating a script that will be run every evening.   I've tried using an Export and Import, but the field value does not correspond with the original table fields.

Whats the best of of doing this? 

Thanks.

Export the data from the origin table as .mer

Import the data and choose to let Filemaker make a new table from the import the first time.

This will duplicate the fields in the original table.

the new table with all of its data become the new dummy table.

Next time export as .mer from original.

Import matching records on the primary key of the origin table matching the primary key of the dummy table, create new record if not matched.

Probably choose to not perform auto enter calculations.

Export the data from the origin table as .mer

Import the data and choose to let Filemaker make a new table from the import the first time.

Why would you go that route, instead of simply importing directly from the origin table?

P.S. This is not meant to say that copying all records to another table is a good idea. Or isn't. I don't think we have enough information here to express an opinion.

Edited by comment

Why would you go that route, instead of simply importing directly from the origin table?

P.S. This is not meant to say that copying all records to another table is a good idea. Or isn't. I don't think we have enough information here to express an opinion.

Go that route because its the first thing that came to mind at 10PM or so. Import directly from the table is the better choice.

I agree that their is not enough info to make a recommendation.

Probably because the OP is saying that this script should run every evening; if that is on a server-side schedule then you can't import directly and have to use the intermediate way.  So might as well set it up like that now and have the option to use PSoS or a server-side schedule without recoding.

Thanks for the responses.  @ Kris, the data on the Real table will change almost everyday, (records are updated and new ones being created) as a result the Summary report will change as well.  So, my initial thought was to do a Data dump every night to the dummy table.  My Summary Report for remote users will be the data from Dummy table.  At the end of the day, i want to trash all the data in the Dummy Table, and import all the new calculated data from the Real Table to the dummy table again, so the next day remote users will have the new data for their summary report.  So, I don't need this

"Import matching records on the primary key of the origin table matching the primary key of the dummy table, create new record if not matched."

The concern I have, is the the data won't match the field names; I did not see a step script to change the import to Matching Name. Did I over look something?

Thanks.

its an option in the import dialog. your first pass will be to import into a new target table. The only option the first time will be add new records and check don't import first record. This will duplicate the schema and data of the source table.

Rename the target table to whatever you want.

The second time through delete the records on the dummy table, import into the right target table, choose add new records, don't import first record and, in the arrange by drop down, choose matching names

Edited by Kris M

Thanks Kris!... I was just playing with it with your directions and it's working. I was worried that the exported file will not export on the second run due to the duplicate file name, but on the Perform Without Dialog, the file just replaced the first one. It's importing correctly as well. 

Thank you for your help!

This topic is 3123 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.