I need REAL help

This topic is 5817 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello; I'm new here but not to Filemaker. I started using FM with the first version when Nashoba owned it. My first problem, and this has existed since version 5, is that the serial number will not advance. I use this feature for invoicing (thank God I am the only employee) and starting with version 5 it became erratic and finally I had to increment it manually. I have been through exporting the data and rebuilding the file and importing the data again and no luck. I just don't know why it doesn't work and no one else seems to either. I contacted Filemaker back when it was Claris, and you could talk to someone without mortgaging your house, and they tried but couln't help either. I was really hopeful that when I installed 8.5 my problem might go away. Anyone have a clue? I have searched everywhere for an answer. Thanks, Bill

Hi William, welcome to the Forum.

Since you seem to know how it should work, why don't you attache a copy of your file so we can check it out for you.

To attach a file, just make a reply to this Thread, and use the

File Attachments: [color:red]Manage files

below.

Remove any confidential information by either saving a Clone, no records, or copy and delete the confidential information.

Zip the File

and then attach it.

Lee

Yes that is the correct field, yes I did try and it does but the problem is when I import from "Quotes". Quotes is a layout that I use for telephone parts price requests. Some customers prepay their orders so the quote stays open until I receive payment. If after a set period of time the customer does not send in a payment then the quote is deleted. When a payment is received the quote is imported into invoices and a new number is supposed to be generated. The problem is the number never changes it just assigns the same number over and over, although I have caught it once in awhile advancing to the next number but very erratically. Thanks, Bill

Thanks for the reply, I don't think so because the record(s) have no number when imported and the script is set to start at the last number incremented. I am just wondering if I should set it up to look at the last invoice number in the actual records rather than keep track of it in the script.

This topic is 5817 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.