Richmilnix

SSL installation overview?

3 posts in this topic

I'm having a devil of a time getting FMS14 in good shape. I'm looking for help installing a certificate, but also including a couple of details in case they inspire any other good advice.

FMS is hosting my twenty databases and my organization's employees are reaching them without a hitch. It's also true that I can see a sample database via WebDirect. FileMaker customer support has told me that that means the software is installed correctly and there's nothing else they can do to help me.

It's also true that when I use Remote Desktop Connection to remote in to the terminal, I can administer FMS (because I'm effectively sitting in front of it) . . . but that I can't administer it from a browser window in my own terminal.

One of the browser errors I get involves Secure Connection Failed, so I'm hoping that an SSL install will solve the problem. I'm in over my head, though.

In the WinServer 2008 IIS Manager, I have generated & installed a self-signed certificate. In the same interface, I'm using the command Create Certificate Request to generate the CSR to send to GeoTrust. I have no idea what value goes in the field Common Name (which I guess would be a domain, right, if I were tied to DNS? Is it the terminal's MAC address?) I don't want to take a stab in the dark.

Check out this resource

Edited by Ocean West

That resource was terrific. Armed with that understanding, I've acquired a geoTrust certificate and am about to face installing it. Thanks.

I am also posting though to say that the heart of the problem seems to have been some level of corrupt installation. Once I uninstalled, did a system restore in Windows, manually reinstalled each of the Win updates for the last few months, then reinstalled FMS (this time identifying it via a subdomain, which advice I got from your video), the problems have disappeared.

So, never underestimate the value of just sitting there for three hours restarting and pressing 'Install.'

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

• Similar Content

• By Keawe
      Hello,
      I installed supercontainer on my Windows server at aws Amazon. I also installed the companion plug-in. It shows up on Filemaker Pro no problem. But it doesn't show on webdirect. Any idea?
      Here is my configuration:
      - FMS 15, Windows 2016 server. 
      - SuperContainer 2.94, build 9234.
      - I have the companion plugin put inside "..\FileMaker Server\Web Publishing\publishing-engine\cwpc\Plugins".
      - The plug-in I use is "SuperContainer_Companion_Plugin.fmx64".
      Thanks.
      P.S.: I will send an email to 360works. But just want to post it here so we can all share the solution. Thanks.
    • By Gnurps
      On two Filemaker Server machines I manage, I cannot get FTPeek to activate. After checking the checkbox, a grey message appears appears stating that the plugin was enabled, but the checkbox is unchecked. 
      I have checked the permissions of the plugins. Both owned by fmserver and group fmsadmin. I have restarted the machines. I have tried Wim's suggestion of installing with server-side script. Both have Java 1.6 installed. Both have the BaseElements plugin installed and successfully enabled.
      Both are running FMS 14.04. One is a Mac mini running Yosemite, with  Core 2 Duo processor and 8gb. Other is a Mac mini running El Capitan with Core 2 Duo and 4gb. 
    • By laurentades
      I am working on a project which requires me to make SOAP calls from FileMaker.
      I have successfully done that in the past thanks to ScriptMaster ability to handle that. It works beautifully.
      The new project now requires me to include a client certificate - issues by the SOAP API provider - in each requests. The documentation on their side is fairly scarce ("Install the certificate on your host" !).
      I have no idea how to handle that but something tells me that there is no reason why it would not be possible to "include" the certificate in the Groovy bit of the plugin...
      Any idea anyone ?
      Thanks
    • By animation_master
      FileMaker Pro 15 Launch Center connects to our AWS instance with no problem. But then it reports
      No files are currently hosted on AWS instancename.
      Well, there ARE files currently hosted. We access them via WebDirect, so they must be hosted.
      Moreover, when we launch a local copy of the file, FileMaker offers to open the remote copy with
      This file has previously been uploaded to FileMaker Server. Use Hosted Version?
      It even displays the proper address for the hosted file.
      However Use Hosted Version returns this error:
      The file “filename.fmp12“ could not be opened. (Extended privilege disabled)
      So, we created a privilege set that extended privileges for fmwebdirect, fmapp and fmxdbc.
      On the next launch of Remote Version, we got this:
      FileMaker cannot share a file because FileMaker network sharing is turned off.
      So, we turned on ODBC sharing, and on the next launch, we got this:
      FileMaker cannot share files because another user is already sharing files using FileMaker Pro on this computer.
      I’m going in circles here. Are these errors related? What am I doing wrong?
    • By Jay
      I've done a search in this forum for "SSL" and it returns no result. So I'll start this thread:
      Has anyone posted a step by step guideline on how to implement SSL for FileMaker Server? If not, it would be very helpful, at least for me.
      I am familiar with generating the request from the FileMaker Server Admin Console. I am familiar with submitting the generated pem key to the GoDaddy service, who then generates a certificate for a price. I am familiar with placing said certificate in the correct folder on the server. However, that's where I leave off. There's some final steps missing, I don't know what they are. But we need to somehow "connect" the domain name we submitted when buying the certificate (www.something.com) , to the actual server we are using (it only has a static IP address), somehow. No idea what those steps would be. Any insight would be appreciated. 

Thank you