bcooney

Separation Model & Ext. Authentication Issue

bcooney    101

FMS15 on MacMini with a known slow LAN and horrible Wifi.

Solution consists of 3 files (UI, Data, Documents). All documents are external secured storage.

UI and Data open on first window. However, documents file does not open until user navigates to a layout that displays a portal of documents. Therefore, this file is not opened on startup.

Occasionally, the documents file does not open and displays "missing." This did not happen FMS12.

I thought about scripting the opening of the documents file on open, but was wondering what might be the root cause.

No OD, just using OS El Capitan Users and Groups.

Tia, B

Wim Decorte    446

Anything in the FMS event and/or access log about this?  Does the document file have an auto-login?  Does the UI file have multiple file references to the documents file?

bcooney    101

Since the client tells me days later, I suspect reviewing logs will be looking for the proverbial needle in the haystack, Wim. If you have pointers, let me know!

No auto-logins on any files.

UI has external refs for data and documents (one of each).

Data file also has external ref to documents file.

Edit: Allow Keychain is checked. Perhaps I should disable that? These files were recently hosted by FMS12 and accessed by FM13 clients. We're now on FMS15 and slowly upgraded the users to FM15. The users that have FM15 are the two that reported this issue.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By TJ53
      Hello, I'm testing FMS16 WebDirect with a two files solution  (an interface file that loads a data file). When the inteface file opens, it doesn't load the data file. My FMS license has a limit of 1 user connection, that seems to be the issue.
      Does this means that a two files solution will use two connections per user that opens the solution?

• By naio
      I've got a solution designed as a separation model where data is split among 6 files and I am working on an upgrade.
      I'm planning to consolidate those 6 files under three with the following criteria:
      One file with messages because it gets quite big in size Another file with all of the value list tables I use because there are quite many and they require relationships only for value lists A file with the rest of the data Is this a good way to distribute the data? would be better a single big file, even if it grows up to 800MB? which design criteria would you apply with this scenario?
      Thanks,
    • By vargas
      Need your assistance. 
      I am trying to enable External Authentication with Filemaker 14 Server. Application Server is member of Domain Controller  windows 2008. I have enabled "External Authentication" in the Database Server, Security. Database has external  server selected authenticated as, the group is added and the privilege is set to data entry.  Everything seems to be setup correctly and when trying to open external database it does not work. I have to enter the local file credentials to open database.  
      One thing is that my group is not in the same location as the default windows Organizational Unit group,  this group is located in a different location within the Active Directory, do you think this might be the problem?  see AD groups below

• By aholtzapfel
      (Long story short.)  I'm moving a complex solution from a local network to a hosted service.  The solution uses (and needs to use) external authentication. In order to divorce the solution from the local network completely, we will no longer be using our active directory on the local network.  Setting up security groups and users on the hosted server and configuring FM server to authenticate against it was very easy.  Only one problem remains, How can users change their passwords? 
      This isn't really a Filemaker question as the question becomes, how can you let a user change their password on windows servers if they do not have desktop access(on the server)?
      I have done a couple of google searches and found enough to know I could write some sort of custom solution (or likely adapt one that is already out there) but before going down that rabbit hole.... I thought I would ask the helpful people here.
    • By bangsjaman
      Hi,

Beacuse I want to maintain users more easily I want to change several FM Server hosted files to External Authentication instead of FM Authentication.

I have tested it, and it works fine so far on when using a FM Pro Client, and the external Auhenticator is the Active Directory on a Windows Server.

But I can not make it Work on FM Go or when using Webdirect.

So my question is, is it possible to make it work on the following:

Filemaker Go WebDirect PHP Web Publishing (for security I might want to create an separate account for this directly in FM) Filemaker Pro clients running on machines that are NOT domain (AD) members. There doesnt seem to be a lot of settings in FM regarding External Authentication, so I might have to change something in the AD?
      It is my impression that Filemaker will first look at the local machines domain membership, but if it is not a member, it will look at the FMS box' Windows accounts and/or domain membership?

Is that correct, or any ideas how to accomplish this?

Benjamin

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.