Sign in to follow this  
GisMo

New Install - how to seed the server file so there is no initial sync?

I think there was some instructions somewhere, but I cannot find them .

I have a created local file and server file. Both contain the exact same data. I want to deploy this solution, but I want to avoid a massive first-time sync.

How can I avoid a massive first-time sync?

Hey, I'm going from memory here, but to avoid an initial sync, before you deploy the local copy, set ES_Last_Push_UTC_Time, and ES_Last_Pull_UTC_Time to the current UTC using Get ( CurrentTimeUTCMilliseconds ). That will trick the local file into thinking it just synced and it will consider itself up to date (until a record changes on the server or locally).

I think there is also a "last full sync" field somewhere that you may want to set to the current timestamp. But that one should automatically update after your next sync. 

Hey @Joshua Willing Halpern  

Thanks. That's correct. I ended up digging through the sync code and found that to be true. The record time stamps are compared to push and pull time stamps. I just changed LAST PUSH and LAST PULL To my current timestamp before deploying. 

Thanks!

Hi,

I am working to implement Easy Sync into a solution that may have 300K records or so.  I am running a test with 225K records and cannot get the initial sync to complete - even when running it on the same LAN as the server (so the fastest possible connection). I tried the suggestions listed in this post to no avail.

There are 5 tables total.  4 of them have 15 records each and the 5th has the 225K records.  There are 10 fields max in each table.

Any suggestions? Am I at the limit of Easy Sync?

If you set es last push and last pull time stamps correctly then it should jump over those two sections super quickly, So confirm that. 

Is is it getting stuck on the “sync check” part?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Bailey
      I need to be able to restart a Windows server running FileMaker server via a script. I would like to run a server side script in the Filemaker Server software.  I was interested in using the 360works ScriptMaster. Any advice, pointers, problems I should be aware of?
    • By John F
      Hello,
      I have a FileMaker server 18 installation that’s crashing about once a week. When I look at the event log for the time of the crash. I see client 1 not responding, client 2 not responding etc. until all clients are disconnected.  All databases show as open in the server console. From a client PC no open files are listed for the host. If I telnet to the server from a workstation on port 5003 a connection can’t be established.   Stopping and starting the database server does not help. Restarting the FileMaker service does not restore operation. The server is still communicating with the network. I can open a web page or browse other computers on the network. Restarting the Windows server restores normal FileMaker operation. My environment is as follows:
      Windows Server 16 Standard Edition dedicated FileMaker server.
      8 GB memory
      80 GB RAID disk drive (40 GB free)
      Indexing turned off
      No third party backup software running
      No AV software running
      Windows File Sharing turned off for all folders.
      Windows Defender Turned off
      IPV6 protocol turned off
      What we have tried so far:
      We replaced the network switch (after the first crash a few weeks ago).
      Tested all databases for corruption.
      Compacted all databases
      Reinstalled FileMaker Server 18

Any insights would be greatly appreciated
      TIA
      John

• By HOnza
      [FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE]
      24U Software releases LogMonitor for server administrators
      This new open-source tool can watch (not only) FileMaker(R) Server logs and send e-amail and push notifications when something important appears there

Prague, CZ -- August 1, 2019 -- 24U Software has released LogMonitor, a new open-source tool made for server administrators to efficiently stay aware of important events being recorded in various text logs.
      Most server apps write thousands of messages to their lots, so it's often difficult for a server admin to notice when an unusual message appears there. LogMonitor addresses this issue by allowing the admin to define patterns of messages which might be important to examine, and generates e-mail to alert the admin about such messages automatically.
      In addition to sending e-mails, LogMonitor can send also push notifications to the admin's smart phone via popular cloud service Pushover. Push notifications can be even enabled separately for each pattern, so that the admin can get push notifications for urgent issues and only e-mail notifications about things that do not require immediate attention.

About monitoring FileMaker Server logs
      As a FileMaker solution provider and custom apps developer, 24U has primarily developed LogMonitor to make administering and maintaining FileMaker Servers easier and more efficient.
      FileMaker Server used to have the option to send e-mail notifications about errors and warnings. Version 17 removed the option for warning notifications. With LogMonitor FileMaker Server admins not only get this feature back,  but they can get notified even about scripting errors if they are important. On the other side, thanks to using regular expression patterns, some unimportant errors and warnings can be set to be silently ignored by LogMonitor, making the admin receive notifications about things that really require attention.

About monitoring other server apps
      Even though LogMonitor is primarily designed for use with FileMaker Server, it can be equally useful for monitoring any other server app. It lets the admin define multiple different log files to monitor and different patterns to look for in the logs, it is even able to work around log rolling, a common method to prevent logs from growing too much in size by regularly renaming old logs and creating new ones.

Requirements
      LogMonitor is written in the Python scripting language and requires Python 3.6 in order to run. It comes with easy-to-use installers for macOS and Windows, but can be used on any platform capable of running Python 3.6.

Availability and Pricing
      LogMonitor is available free of charge as open source, licensed under the "GNU LGPLv3" License. 24U greatly appreciates any feedback and contributions, but cannot provide free support for the tool. Developers and server admins may hire 24U to help them with their projects, either by purchasing paid support or by utilizing 24U's custom development services.
      More information: https://www.24usoftware.com/logmonitor

About 24U Software
      With customers in 68 countries and 28 years of experience with the FileMaker platform, 24U excels in developing new or taking care of existing custom apps, optimizing their performance, identifying and resolving potential issues and liabilities, improving reliability, stability and scalability, integrating them with other systems including various hardware devices, and extending them beyond expectation.
      As a platinum member of the FileMaker Business Alliance, 24U helps global businesses around the world to maintain sustainable growth by working with their in-house developers or completely taking care of the maintenance and development of their business solutions.

Customer contact:
      HOnza Koudelka
      Software Division Manager, 24U s.r.o.
      sales@24usoftware.com
      https://www.24usoftware.com

Press Contact:
      pr@24uSoftware.com
      ###
      (c)2019 24U s.r.o. All rights reserved. 24U and 24U Software are trademarks of 24U s.r.o. FileMaker is a trademark of FileMaker, Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners. Pricing and availability are subject to change without notice.
    • By 360Works
      360Works Portfolio Bundle: Build a complete solution in FileMaker at a fraction of the cost.

Save Money
      The 360Works Portfolio Bundle offers the best FileMaker plug-in deal around. You receive all of the 360Works plug-ins and tools for FileMaker at 75% off the cost of the entire product suite from 360Works, saving you a great deal of money in the long run.    

Save Time
      Additionally, it saves you time by providing one, single license key to register all plug-ins and add-ons in your FileMaker solution. You even save time with updates! The Portfolio Bundle is on our Maintenance model for licensing, this means that your purchase includes 12 months of maintenance, which gives you all new products and upgrades released up to a year after your Portfolio Bundle purchase. At the end of 12 months, you may choose to renew your maintenance subscription for each additional year, for a cost of $695 (or auto-renew at $625.50).

The Portfolio Bundle includes over 18 FileMaker products, some of which are exclusive to Portfolio Bundle license holders only. Here is a friendly reminder about all that it has to offer:

Download products and learn more today at 360works.com/portfolio.

360Works Support
      Our 360Works Support Team is dedicated to your successful use of 360Works plug-ins and add-ons. If you run into issues we offer 2 free hours of technical support Monday - Friday from 10:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. (ET). Most questions can be answered at our documentation/help page and requests for support team assistance can be sent to support@360works.com

Stay updated with 360Works

• By 360Works
      MirrorSync 5 is now available and with it ships a better user experience for your clients! Today, we want to share 3 ways you can optimize your FileMaker sync experience for your users with the lastest version of MirrorSync.
      If you haven't heard...MirrorSync allows you to sync FileMaker Go, FileMaker Pro, FileMaker Servers, SQL databases, and virtually any datatbase you can think of!
      Here are 3 ways you can sync FileMaker and provide a better user experience using MirrorSync 5:
      1. Encrypted Password Storage
      No user wants to repetitively enter their password before a sync! As a convenience to your users, MirrorSync 5 will now store encrypted passwords for your users on the server. Essentially, it stores an encrypted version of the last used password to sync an offline file. In MirrorSync 5, instead of picking between a shared, auto-entered password (less secure) or individual passwords that need to be entered on each sync (less convenient), everyone can use their own password with ease and optimal security.
      2. Fast Initial Sync
      MirrorSync now runs a server-side initial sync! It will save an empty clone of the file, and temporarily host the empty file copy on FileMaker Server where it runs a fast server to server sync of only the selected records you want to sync. This is especially helpful if you have a massive database and only want to sync a subset of records without draining the memory on the local device, such as an iPad or iPhone. Once the sync is complete, MirrorSync closes the file on the server and sends the pre-populated file down to your users.
      3. Monitor Your Sync Statistics
      MirrorSync now reports sync stats to AWS CloudWatch. You can get real-time updates on important metrics such as sync times, warnings, and other notifications. Having this insight at your fingertips will make you instantly aware of issues or difficulties your users may be running into.
      Watch a Video on this Topic Now!
      We enjoy meeting up with our fellow FileMaker Developers at DevCon. Each year, we like to catch up with Richard Carlton Consulting who offers educational and entertaining FileMaker training that will keep you engaged and leave you with the knowledge and tools you need to be an excellent FileMaker Developer.

Check out Richard's video below to see an in-depth explanation and interview on MirrorSync 5 with 360Works President, Jesse Barnum.

Download a free version of MirrroSync 5, upgrade, or purchase here.

Stay updated with 360Works:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.