Got myself stuck in a seemingly endless loop... how do I get out?

Lisa M.

This topic is 921 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello:

It seems if if I've somehow gotten myself stuck in an endless loop of sorts on my Vendor Experience database project as follows:

1.  Created a script somewhere that closes a window

2.  added another script to fire when the last window is closed that should always take a person back to launchpad... that somehow failed

3.  added a script to add a new user based on forms input

4.  While testing my new script and form I needed to log in and back out with the new user account.  Once the desired behavior  was verified, I attempted several times to log in to my dev account and somehow by whatever miracle of Murphy’s law I get the "developer mode" dialog and the last form I was on (the create user form)  I click the "go nuts" button and boom! bang! wham! the whole thing closes on itself.

Even using the "Admin" account with the password "admin" account yields the same self-closing behavior just not developer mode message.  is there a way (short of re-building this whole project from scratch) to start a file in "safe mode" thus disabling all script so I can try and troubleshoot?

Edit: I forgot to give the password to the dev account.  To login to the dev account use the following credentials

account name: Dev

password: “Make you pay!” Without the quotes and with the spacing, capitalization, and punctuation.

to try the default admin account:

account: Admin

password: admin

to try with a limited test user try the following:

account: fdurst

password: DemoDemo123

–OR—

account: test

password: test

any help would be beyond appreciated in this one

Vendor-Experience-v1_Carly.fmp12

Edited by Carly F.
Added all logins to this post for testing purposes

When developing & testing (all for my own use) I leave a couple of developer scripts checked in the Script Workspace so I can call (Ctrl+1, Ctrl +2, etc.) like Halt Script, Close Window, Toggle Toolbar, Re-Login, etc.  I've been burned a few times with a dialog window, or card window opened that I couldn't close.

For looping scripts I always try them with the debugger, using a manual stop for each loop iteration, until I know it works.  Especially with nested loops.

Also something I learned/used from JMO, instead of using 'Allow User Abort' and 'Set Error Capture' script steps, is to make them their own scripts and have the scripts skip over them when logged in as Admin.  Then you can get out of looping scripts and avoid other issues.

7 hours ago, bcooney said:

Before you open your file, open the script debugger. That will let you exit an opening script that may be causing this problem. 

A little bit of time with the script debugger quickly found the errant script and fixed it. You’re a lifesaver!

6 hours ago, Steve Martino said:

When developing & testing (all for my own use) I leave a couple of developer scripts checked in the Script Workspace so I can call (Ctrl+1, Ctrl +2, etc.) like Halt Script, Close Window, Toggle Toolbar, Re-Login, etc.  I've been burned a few times with a dialog window, or card window opened that I couldn't close.

For looping scripts I always try them with the debugger, using a manual stop for each loop iteration, until I know it works.  Especially with nested loops.

Also something I learned/used from JMO, instead of using 'Allow User Abort' and 'Set Error Capture' script steps, is to make them their own scripts and have the scripts skip over them when logged in as Admin.  Then you can get out of looping scripts and avoid other issues.

i intend to learn ok at implementation of this options in future as i get more comfortable with scripting and back into the flow of FileMaker Dev work.

thanks to you both! @bcooneyfor the immediat fix that got me up and running and @Steve Martinofor thr suggestions that I plan to implement. Both credits enrties for you

2 hours ago, comment said:

Your profile says '12 Client'. You need the Advanced version to use the script debugger. Please adjust your profile so that we know which suggestions you can use.

I use both the regular “client” and advanced

23 minutes ago, Steve Martino said:

Are you really using Windows XP?

It’s a mix of OSs all on a completely isolated network. The newest thing on my lab network is my windows 8.1 laptop else all servers run 2003 and all clients run anything from XP to 7.   The only computer that moves between my lab and the real world is the laptop

so yes, still running old software because that’s all my fixed income can afford unless I get a 2nd hand from a friend or relative

and for the love of God I refuse to run windows 10 or newer. It’s full of spyware, it runs too slow on my old hardware… forced updates that more often than not break things…Need I explain more?  So, I will probably be running outdated software until the day I die because good luck getting Microsoft to change a thing

Edited by Carly F.

This topic is 921 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.