Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Omit Indicator?

This topic is 7340 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi all,

This may not be specifically a FileMaker 7 question, but it has presented itself to me because of a new 7 feature.

Something I'm working on would be great to have a new popup window open to allow a user to do a find - however, I'd like to not have the toolbar visible. All the find - and after find functions - like new request, omit, sort, etc. will be triggered by buttons.

This works well, except that with the toolbar hidden, the user can't see which records they tagged as omit in their find.

Is there any way to indicate to a user - with the toolbar hidden - that as part of their search, say, the 3rd record of criteria is tagged omit?

The only indicator I see is the checkbox in the toolbar.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jerremy

Version: v7.x

Platform: Mac OS X Panther

Hi Jerremy,

I suggest that you consider providing a button which is attached to a script that toggles the omit checkbox and simultaneously sets a flag on the corresponding record (eg set it up so that clicking on the flag toggles it on and of, at the same time calling the Omit Record script step to toggle the omit function on and off for the current record.

If you have a constant field in your database, I suggest that you use it as the flag field - or alternatively, you could set up the script which performs the finds to clear the gui flags prior to processing the find criteria.

Hi Ray,

Thanks for the quick reply. I had something very close to what you describe...

I have an 'omit' text field as a checkbox on the layout. It is attached to a script that omits the record and puts a check in the omit field. Then, the user would hit the perform find button which clears the omit find then performs the find.

My concerns are that when the found records are shown, they are then able to click the omit button (which I guess I could fix by making a different layout for the search and the results) - and that the user can just hit the return or enter key which would skip the perform find script that clears the omit fields.

I'll keep playing around with it - thanks for your help.

Jerremy

This topic is 7340 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.