Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Copying tables

This topic is 7313 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Any insight on the fastest way to copy (some of) the fields from one table to another? I have the need to create a table with the same data as another table's found set, within the same file. You might think that the "import" function would work, but it doesn't seem to support the idea of importing from the same file. Of course, I can just write loops in a script, but ugh, that's slow.

FileMaker Version: Dev 7

Platform: Mac OS X Jaguar

If you quit the Filemaker program, make a physical copy of the database file and name it as copy, then open original - then import from the COPY, then you're not copying from the same file.

that's got to work unless I'm really missing something here

lol

Thanks to all, I finally realized that the way to solve my problem is to IMPORT the data, not export it.

What I want to do is

Export [selected records of] field 1 of Table A to Table B

Export [selected records of] field 2 of Table A to Table C

Create new records based on combinations (actually an outer join) of records from B and C

Right now I am using a loop to accomplish the first two steps, but I could create external FMP files each with scripts that delete all records and import from Table A and call these external scripts from the file with Table A.

Lacking an outer join operation, I need to do step three with two nested loops in any event.

Thanks for the feedback.

FileMaker Version: Dev 7

Platform: Mac OS X Jaguar

This topic is 7313 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.