Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Rules for found sets?

This topic is 7266 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Can anyone point me towards a summary of FM7's rules for maintaining the "found set" of records?

It seems that if I create two entries in the relationship panel that point to the same table, each can have it's own found set. I rely on this to allow me to work on a different set of records in a script without changing the found set as seen by the user.*

But then I discovered that if I open a new window using the same layout (and hence the same entry in the relationships), each can have its own found set.

So as I am developing scripts that rely on knowing what the found set is, I sometimes manage to get very confused about which script steps will see which found set.

Is there a simple set of rules written down some place?

Thanks

A

*To be clear about this: Create a table, call it table A. In the relationship panel create two entries, call them Ar1 and Ar2. Then create 4 layouts, 2 for each entry in the relationships, call them Ar1La, Ar1Lb, Ar2Lc, Ar2Ld. In a script you can "go to layout" in the same window between these four, and Ar1La and Ar1Lb will share the same found set, but Ar2Lc and Ar2Ld can have a different, shared found set. However, if you, for instance, use the script step "go to related records [new window, show related only] using layout Ar1La" you will get a new found set, unrelated to the others.

You've pretty much covered it: each layout has its "home" Table Occurrence (TO). All layouts that share a TO will share the current found set. However, that is only within that window. Open a new window, and the same rule applies -- within that window. Windows are independent, is that the rule you want?

It's kind of like OS X, the way it lets you open multiple windows that look at the same folder. You couldn't do it in OS 9, but now you can. It drives me nuts sometimes, but mostly it's a good thing.

This topic is 7266 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.