Trouble with Template

This topic is 7230 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello. I am a brand new convert from MS Access... Just got FMP 7 Dev out of the box and was exploring a little. I opened a couple of different templates and tried to double click on the area where you would insert a picture and the entire program keeps shutting down, erasing all my entries. I can't figure this out.

Like I said I am brand new to FileMaker (I bought Dev 7 to hopefully learn and then convert my workplace from MS Access!). Does anyone have any suggestions or can point me in a direction where I can learn the difference between MS Access and FM Pro?

Thanks,

And I'm sure I'll be posting quite a bit here in the beginnning

Vandy.

Vandy,

Welcome! There are certainly others with Access background here, and especially since the FM7 multi-table file upgrade, it seems FM should soon be able to meet your expectations in most every area and pleasantly surprise you with flexibility elsewere...

I'm not sure what to think about your template shutting down FM7D. I'm running it on Jaguar, and have just poked around templates trying to reproduce your problem, no "luck".

Generally, BTW, one wouldn't "double-click" on a picture (container) field; it's for copy-paste or drag... but I notice, at least on these templates, that my double-click is calling up a sound-recording dialogue. (Container fields can hold many different media formats.) So perhaps if something is going wrong with the sound-input interface with your Panther system, that would explain the problem. Hm.

At any rate, keep asking questions about the process. My understanding of the biggest challeng for an Access user is FM's flexible GUI where layouts with portals can be used for data entry, and there's total independence of layouts from found sets. I imagine this can be disorienting at first -- if you want to see a certain standard collection of info in a certain order "filtered" in a certain way, in FM the various components can be bundled into a script, which then functions much as a "report" in Access, but nothing in FM "prompts" you to associate a layout with a found set or sort order, etc. ... But this is very much off-the-cuff; others can give you more detailed re-orientation.

This topic is 7230 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.