Claris Engage 2025 - March 25-26 Austin Texas ×

Scripting to 2 portals on 1 layout ??

Steven Cappiello

This topic is 7278 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have two portals on 1 layout.

Could someone tell me how to do the following:

(i've searched but admittedly not entirely read the Moyer book and

the archives, but haven't found my answers)

Make the script go to the correct portal (how do I tell it to go to one portal over the other)

Go to the first available new record (is this the Go to portal row "last" option or "next" option or do I need to create a new record once in the portal ??

Is it possible to make it so that the new portal record (that will be queued, ready for typing into, can pop to the top of the portal ?? so that my user doesn't have to scroll down looking for it. I have the portal sorting so that the most current entry is at the top, but it's a pain that the new entry has to be entered at the bottom of the portal, which due to space restrictions on my layout, usually needs to be scrolled to.

Thanks for any help you can offer!!

-beta

Hi,

To make the script go to the correct portal, first use the Go to Field[ ] command to go to a related field that is located in the portal you wish to target - that will make the relevant portal active, and you can then use a subsequent 'Go to Portal Row[ ]' command to navigate within the portal.

The 'Go to Portal Row[ ]' command includes various options, one of which is to determine the row by calculation. You can enter a number into the calulation cialog to have the command navigate to a particular row.

The a row is selected and the cursor is placed into a field, the portal will automatically be scrolled so as to make the active row visible (though it may or may not be at the top of the portal - eg if it is the last related record, it will be at the bottom).

There are other ways to do this. You can make a single row that APPEARS to be the top row of a portal but is a different relatonship and different set of fields. Depending on how much data you want to add, you could use a dialog.

Ok. I tried to create a new record in a portal by using the go to note field in a empty portal. The script is just: Go to field - portal - note field. It is a note portal. It won't go. I triple checked the realtionship - straight employee to note on employee code using the =. I verified the portal is notes and all fields are notes. But it won't go.

If I turn on the allow creation, it goes to the portal and I can manually create a note. I don't want allow creation on because people will create blank records. I must be missing something obvious. How can I jump start a portal that doesn't have records to begin with ... to start adding notes? Can someone please tell me how to add in this notes portal without allow creation on? confused.gif

I checked it again. the script asks for the field name and gives me a box. I select Notes fromthe popup and then select the note field. It inserts the line like this: Go To Field [ Notes::Note]

I see nowher else to say anything. That's all it gives me. : and I clicked behavior of Browse on the note field itself but that didn't help either. The layout is Employee and the other portals show just fine too altho i allow creation in them. blush.gif I want to change that. Do the other portals cause this one to not work? do they all need to be on or off together?

This topic is 7278 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.