Windows: Using Escape to Cancel

This topic is 7240 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

In Windows the Escape key is giving me some grief. I would like in a number of situations to use the default button in a dialog box for "OK" or "Continue" but a user hitting the Escape key expects to get the "Cancel" option. I have therefore always coded the "OK" option to button 2, meaning the user always has to click the button rather than being able to hit Enter.

Now that Filemaker 7 allows field input within a custom dialog box, the data is only entered via the default button, ie so if the user enters data in the field input, then has a change of mind and hits Escape, the data is entered into the field anyway.

Please confirm I've got this right. Are there any workarounds to make this a bit more user friendly? Appreciate any help.

Philip

brownees wrote "In Windows the Escape key is giving me some grief. I would like in a number of situations to use the default button in a dialog box for "OK" or "Continue" but a user hitting the Escape key expects to get the "Cancel" option. I have therefore always coded the "OK" option to button 2, meaning the user always has to click the button rather than being able to hit Enter.

Now that Filemaker 7 allows field input within a custom dialog box, the data is only entered via the default button, ie so if the user enters data in the field input, then has a change of mind and hits Escape, the data is entered into the field anyway.

Please confirm I've got this right. Are there any workarounds to make this a bit more user friendly? Appreciate any help"

Has nobody come across this issue?? [color:"purple"]

FWIW, I never link custom dialogs to "real" fields, only to globals. The rest of the script after the custom dialog performs validation and processes the entry, then sets the new value into the record.

Can the Escape key or Cancel be trapped for with Get(LastMessageChoice) or Get(LastError)?

Now that Filemaker 7 allows field input within a custom dialog box, the data is only entered via the default button,...

vs. 6's Custom Dialog also accepted User input; and the button response was the same. Field input is only changed when one selects the default (1st) button no matter what you label it. I too only use globals because that is the only way to validate before field set is allowed.

This topic is 7240 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.