Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Differents directory for different clients (fm7)

This topic is 7016 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

hello

I want to publish db's for different clients so I need to set-up differents directories. Each one would have a different url.

For now I see there's only one url possible. I tried to copy the existing folder and duplicate it without any success.

If someone knows the solution ...

Thanks. smirk.gif

Do you mean that you're trying to run completely separate filemaker and IWP processes on the same computer? You may have problems with license conflicts. Also, you would need to set up the different IWP instances to run on different TCP ports.

I'm not sure what you mean by FTP.... are you also running an FTP server for the same clients?

• Newbies

Hello

I'm gonna try to explain myself better.

I want to set-up with only one license (fmadv) multiple clients.

On a regular web hosting, let's say with apache, you have different directories

for each client.

I want to do exactly the same thing with fm advc. Each client will have its own directory. He would have the possibility to close and open its database. To replace its database a ftp connection will be made. Ftp is not a problem for me.

So for the instant web publishing each client should have a url like this:

http://host/iwp/fmi/client1/

Is my explanation clear ?

The only way I can see to set this up is by having multiple separate databases. (One for each client)

The url syntax for connecting to a specific DB via IWP is this:

http://hostname:portnumber/fmi/iwp/cgi?-db=databasename&-startsession

The database files themselves could be placed in whatever directory you want. (Like a user's home ftp directory.) The files just have to be open in filemaker.

So it seems you want users to be able to replace their own database files by ftp. This could work, but I'd suggest against giving anyone direct file access to hosted databases. Any database that would be replaced would have to first be closed in filemaker. Then the new file would have to be opened. This is possible to do remotely with filemaker using applescript. (you can send applescript commands to filemaker via a terminal command issued via ssh.) But if you allow clients to do this themselves, it's quite possible that they would try to swap a live file with one of the same name or something else like that causing a corrupted file.

• Newbies

Hello

Just to answer the last post, That's exactky what I do using filemaker 6.

I think I will re-edit the default page IWP just to make sure none db is available from that page.

each client would have its own listing using a small php script in their own web space.

thanks a lot.

This topic is 7016 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.