Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Script Variable / Global Field

This topic is 6696 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

In earlier versions of FM, I used to define global field to facilitate search on a specific layout. For example if I have a database I wanted users to search customer name, I will create a global field for customer name and on the search layout, I will place this global field and after data is entered on the global field, user will click a button to search and in my script I will go to find mode and set customer name to this global field.

How could I do something similar in FM 8. I understand that there are script variable but is there any way I can place them on layout?

Thanks in advance

You cannot put variables on a layout. Variables perish with the script, or when the file is closed. Next time the file is opened, the variable might not exist - what should the layout show then?

Why did you in the previous versions use a global field at all

For one, it prevents users getting into Browse and overwriting actual data.

It also helps when the request has to be re-formatted, e.g. user selects "this month" and the script enters the appropriate calculation into the Date field.

Now, you must expand on this!!! Why so many exclamation and question marks???

For one, it prevents users getting into Browse and overwriting actual data.

In FM7, you can set a field so that it only allows data entry in Find mode, but not when in Browse mode (Field Control / Behaviors).

Hi All,

Thanks for the replies. Yes I agree that we should look forward for new improvements instead of sticking to old bad habits :

BTW, I also realized that in FM Pro 8 we could use global fields in same old fashion. Just define a text field and under storage choose global field.

Cheers,

This topic is 6696 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.