Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Can FM create web pages?

This topic is 6464 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi there, folks. I'd appreciate your advice. I'm looking for a solution for the following simple task, and can't decide whether FM is suitable.

I'd like to build a simple flat-file database of about 200 records (flat-file), each record containing about 25 fields and a couple of photographs. Then I'd like to build web pages from this data. There will be very few updates once the site is built.

FM is obviously not going to be too stressed by the database side of things, but I've been unable to find (on the trial version) an easy way of generating web pages. I'm thinking of a first page containing a list or list of groups, and then a number of subsidiary pages containing the data.

The only mention of HTML I can find is "Export to HTMLTable" - no use at all. The web server technology works fine but I'm not looking to serve web pages, just write them.

While I can easily manage writing some code to parse the XML output and convert to HTML, I don't want to do that if there's an easier way...

First, create a web page using your text/WYSIWYG editor of choice. Then copy the HTML into your FileMaker script and/or calculated fields to build what you need. E.g. substitute

tags for hard returns, insert your fields where you want them etc.

This topic is 6464 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.