Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Limits(?) of FileMaker

This topic is 6183 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi

I hope I am posting this in the correct forum. If not please point me in the right direction.

I work for a small company that has developed its own proprietory software with FoxPro (still in the DOS world) that is rather extensive. Many related data bases that work with many variables upon entering three fields. Much tracking and many reports are pulled from this.

Then ACT! is used (which is at times unusable - I think it's a dog) for sales and marketing.

Then PeachTree is used for accounting.

ACT! has a link to Peachtree in order to look at account history while in ACT!.

With this scenario there is alot of duplicate entering of client info, having to use different nameing conventions for client codes and there is no integration of the three programs except for the ACT! / PeachTree link.

The boss is ready to upgrade the dos to windows and get a web presence. I'm thinking that FM can do it all.

My long winded question is:

A: Can, and is it realistic to replace PeachTree as an accounting program with FileMaker?

B: Is FileMaker robust enough to be used on a network with 4-10 users?

C: Any guesses as to what this major overtaking would cost for a professional FM developer. Broadstroke here is understood since I gave little info on the scope. Just wondering if this is thousands or hundred of thousand of dollars worth of work.

Any info would help as well as any references to FM consultants/developers in the Chicago area. I would love to sell the boss on this switch and stop the insanity we deal with everyday. }:(

Thanks so much!

Edited by Guest

A: Can, and is it realistic to replace PeachTree as an accounting program with FileMaker? -- Don't recommend it though I believe you have one of two options there -- 1) there is a plugin to integrate peach tree with FM, your duplication can stop there, or 2) use odbc. Don't re-invent the wheel if you don't have too.

B: Yes, it supports up to 250 users in a networked environment.

C: lol, thousands, definitely thousands... unless you are talking about a project that is tens of thousands of hours work (FM is a Rapid dev environment and in most cases consultancy fees don't surpass 100 an hour). Just make sure you choose a decent developer or it might end up costing you twice as much.

D: ( i know you don't have a d ), your looking at about 5-6k for the FM software alone though here's to hoping that changes with FM 9 -- I suggest you run on trial versions where you need to for a couple of months lol.

1) To be honest I wouldn't have a clue, but I'm fairly sure it exists.

2) ODBC - Open Database Connectivity. It is a standard by which databases (most times including accounting software) can easily communicate.

This topic is 6183 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.