Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Need Repeating field work arounds!

This topic is 8588 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I would like to be able to show entries from several fields in a match field in a separate db, just like a repeating field does.

I have realized the limitations of repeating fields when you want to use auto-entry look ups based on the choice of the repeating field.

When you create a value list and select USE VALUES FROM FIELD, and then ONLY RELATED VALUES, you can only choose one field in your value list!

Is there a way to show more than one value from and db, and only related values, WITHOUT having to use repeating fields?

Calculations only seem to fill the field with all related field entries, and i can't select just one.

Thanks so much...

RV

Wow! I didn't understand any of that. Try expaining your first sentence again. You would like to show selections which include two fields. The typical case is for example:

Product No. and Product Name

12 Paper Clips

where you want to enter a product number for indexing purposes, but the user will recognize a product name.

I get lost with "just like a repeating field does". Do you mean you want to make one selection and have the values available for a second selection depend upon the first. For instance:

Product Category and Product Name

In this case the values in the value list for Product Name could depend upon the value entered for Product Category.

If you want to select two categories and have the possible choices in both categories be displayed in the Product Name value list, this can be done. Am I getting close to an answer?

-bd

[This message has been edited by LiveOak (edited October 26, 2000).]

quote:

Originally posted by LiveOak:

Wow! I didn't understand any of that.

[This message has been edited by LiveOak (edited October 26, 2000).]

First, "Oak" makes a good point here, and I'd like to take the opportunity to expand on it.

When asking questions (and this goes for anyone), please make sure you are as clear as possible. There are several people on this forum who will take the time to read long questions, but not too many who will venture an answer unless they're pretty sure they know what the exact question is.

Now, as regards what I THINK the original question is...

Choosing the "only related values" doesn't limit you to one value, unless that's the only related value. For instance:

In file A, you have a Category field and a Subcategory field. You want the Subcategory value list to be dependent on the entry in the Category field.

In file B, you have a Category field and a Subcategory field. For each possible entry in the Category field (say, "fruits"), you have several records, each with a different subcategory (like "apples", "oranges", "kiwis", etc.).

Create a relationship within file A that relates the Category fields in A and B. (Note: I highly recommend you set up the Category field as a pop-up list, containing the values in the Category field in file B -- it helps avoid confusion.) Set up the Subcategory field (still in file A) as a pop-up list, using the Subcategory field in file B, and using only related values from the Category relationship.

et voila.

When you choose "fruits" in the Category field, the value list for Subcategories will include "apples", "oranges", etc. But when you choose, say, "vegetables" in the Category field, your Subcategory field will include all the vegetables you input into file B ("broccoli", "okra", "cabbage", etc.).

Of course, if this isn't what you're going for...

HTH,

Dan

This topic is 8588 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.