Trying to list out my problems

This topic is 8572 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I'm wondering if this is possible because it's driving me nuts trying to figure it out. I made a database to keep track of software serial numbers for people in my company. I made multiple fields for software title, version and serial#. So I made fields named software1, software2, version1 etc. I was able to figure out how to search through all the fields at once. Now I want to be able to list my search results. How can I accomplish this when let's say "photoshop" can be in field "software1" in one record and in "software2" in another record? Someone please help me!

I think you difficult is due to the organization of the file. If you make bad structural decisions (lay a faulty foundation for a house) everything you try to do next is a problem.

First, I would have one record for each software person/software title. You didn't specify, but I'm guessing that each record in your database is one person. By changing your design to one entry for each person/software title, you will be able to find everyone that has Photoshop or all software for John Smith. You will also be able to generate reports which provide summaries by person or by software title. -bd

• Newbies

Yes you are right. Each record is for one person. I wanted to be able to fit all the relevant info on one record. I guess after 2 people telling me that's a bad idea I'll have to scrap that idea. I'll try that approach. Thank you for the suggestion. Is there any good places to download any examples on which I can study from? Being a beginner it's hard to start designing a database without any direction. Thanks.

This topic is 8572 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.