Relasionships and Repeating fields

This topic is 8575 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Any one who will listen,

I know every one hates repeating fields here but I was thinking...

If I use a main file with a standard field containg "x".

And I have a releated file with repeating field containg 2 records with values "x,y" for rec 1 and and "y,x" for rec 2.

Both records are accessable via the relationship. Doesn't that make a strong case for repeating fields?

G

Ok then you have to strust that the user will place a carrige return after every relevant piece of data. Or you could build in some method of contolling data entry with some scripting. So why not just use the repeating field? The user can only enter data into each cell aleviating the need for carriage returns and all that script writing. I think that too makes a strong case for using repeating fields as well. Does anyone agree or disagree?

G

quote:

Originally posted by spragueg:

Ok then you have to strust that the user will place a carrige return after every relevant piece of data. Or you could build in some method of contolling data entry with some scripting. So why not just use the repeating field? The user can only enter data into each cell aleviating the need for carriage returns and all that script writing. I think that too makes a strong case for using repeating fields as well. Does anyone agree or disagree?

I would not suggest using repeating fields for any type of user entered data, nor would I suggest using a single field seperated by carriage returns.

USE A RELATED FILE!!!!!!!!!! This is what a relational database is all about. You will find that related files are easier to use and maintain that repeating fields.

I find that there is ONE great use for repeating fields, as a location of different types of variables. I use them for temporary storage of a variety of values, as well as for permanant storage of settings, preferences and all the graphics and icons that I use in the solution. This is all controlled via scripting and is never accessed by the user.

------------------

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Kurt Knippel

Consultant

Database Resources

mailto:[email protected]

http://www.database-resources.com

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

----You will find that related files are easier to use and maintain that repeating fields----

I am using 2 files that are RELATED using a one to many relationship. It's just that the match field in the child(many) file happends to be a repeating field.

G

I guess it depends if this is for something that won't be used by anyone except you. If you are going to turn it loose on an unsuspecting public, you need to be careful what you do. I've thrown together some quick and nasty databases to solve one-time problems, but would never consider letting anyone else use them.

I remember a quote from a computer book by Press and Flannery about the bubble sort algorithm: "If you know what bubble sort is, wipe it from your mind; if you don't know, make a point of never finding out!" I guess you could apply that philosophy to repeating fields.

This topic is 8575 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.