Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Best way to migrate into FMPro...

This topic is 5659 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm migrating from an Excel-based list to a simple FM Pro (8.5) database. One of my fields is a set of radio buttons. What I need to do is take my list of 1,000+ entries in Excel, and set one of the radio buttons for each of those entries.

The key field here is a unique registration number, which exists in both the FM Pro database and my Excel sheet. My question is ... what's the easiest FM Pro way to do this:

"For each registration ID in this list, if you find it in the FM Pro database (which it will, as they're all there), then set the radio button field to Option #2.

I know I can do this with a massive multiple-find and then 'replace in found set,' but with 1,000 records, I figure there must be a better way, and I'm hoping someone here can recommend a solution. (This is a one-time-only need; after the import, I'll be using FM Pro going forward).

thx;

-rob.

Convert your Excel file to FileMaker, then make a relationship to it from your existing FM file.

Then show all records and do a replace on the radio button field:

Case( not IsEmpty( related::ID; "Option 2" ; radio button field )

Or... since every record in the converted Excel file will have a corresponding ID, if you make the relationship in that file instead of in the original, you can put the related radio button field on your layout, show all records and simply do a Replace with "Option 2" -- done.

This topic is 5659 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.