Layout in spreadsheet format

This topic is 8620 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Does anyone know how to create a layout in an Excel-type spread-sheet format, with the months (Jan-Dec) going across the top? I have a typical database which records invoicing details. It sorts easily enough by month with the months going down the left, but I cannot find how to get the months across the top as column headings, with the appropriate information in those columns. I assume it involves setting up individual fields for each month, and applying some sort of instructions or scripts to them.

Each invoice has -

Job No.

Amt of Services

Amt of Expenses

Amt of Media

Amt of Credits (etc.)

Would it be necessary to create Jan-Dec fields for Services, and Jan-Dec fields for Expenses, and Jan-Dec fields for Media, etc., and would they each need a script? (Have very little experience with scripts.)

Thanks very much!

There is no easy way, but it can be done. The slickest way is to create another file just for display. Each field in the Spread Sheet display will be a related field from the primary file. It may take a LOT of relationships or just a few, depending exactly on the format of the data in the first file and how you want it to display. It may require you to build come composite indices from several field, again depending upon the exact format of the data and the report.

From your description, it sounds like you need a composite index of type and month in the first file. In the display file, each record would be a different type. Twelve fields across would use twelve indices. They would select the different months and look like:

Index1 = ExpenseType & "Jan"

Index2 = ExpenseType & "Feb"

Index3 = ExpenseType & "Mar"

Index 12 = ExpenseType & "Dec"

The 12 display fields would each be based upon a different realtionship. The ExpenseType field is native to the display file and changes the record types displayed in the 12 fields for each record in the display file. For 5 expense types, you would have 5 records in the display file.

I hope this isn't too complicated a description of the approach. -bd

• Newbies

Dear bd - thank you very much for the information. I have quite a bit of homework to do here, I can see, to be able to digest it all and implement it. It will take me a little time - I'm relatively new at fmp5, and will have to dig in to some of my manuals. Will let you know how it goes. Thank you very much again!

This topic is 8620 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.