Server Maintenance This Week. ×

How to use Tab Control and adding a new table?

This topic is 4663 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I've just finished my 1st data/table that consists of 100 records each record shows my company's threat, how to resolve it, recommendations, actions, what the threat is about, and the start and end dates of when we started or finished solving the threat. NOW I need to make a 2nd data table. This new data will be a score card for EACH of the 100 records. This score card will have "whats done", "where are we now", "Prioritization", and etc.

What I want to do is make two tabs. One tab is the 1st data (the one I've just finished) and the other tab will be the 2nd data which is the score card. So far I added two tab controls to my existing data already and was wondering how I can add new data for the 2nd tab that will be showing the score card? How can I get the tabs working? When I click on them they don't do anything, the only thing that is showing is my 1st data. So how can I activate the tabs and add a table to my 2nd tab? I am very new to FileMaker Pro so hopefully this all make sense!

It doesn't work that way. A tab control belongs to a layout, and a layout shows records from a table. If you have a one-to-many relationship between two tables, you can place a portal to the child table onto a layout of the parent table. The portal can be in a pane of a tab control, if you want.

Hm okay. How about just creating a button? So in this case I will set the button in the header area and its title will be Score Card. So when my coworkers go through each record there will be a button for them to click on to view the scorecard. Will the button tools be easier to use than the tab controls?

Yes, you could use buttons as fake tabs, and make them switch layouts. However, I am not sure I understand what a "score card" is: you speak of one score card per threat (and presumably, one threat per score card). If that's the case, you should not need an additional table.

Basically the scorecard is just a status for each threat. So when I click on each record they will have their own different status. Like one record will have a threat about Internet viruses and I want to be able to view its status scorecard by clicking on the button for that one record and see what has been done, is it a first priority?, or what kind of resources/staffing is required to fix this threat, and etc. So I wouldn't need a separate table for the status scorecard? What would you suggest I do? Sorry I'm so new to filemaker this is my first time building a database! so let me know if you have any other ideas.

A rule of thumb: if an object can have many attributes of the same kind, create a separate table for the attributes. If there only can be one, create a field in the same table.

For example: a threat (object) can have a priority (attribute). If it can have only one priority, that would be a field in the Threats table. But if priority can change over time AND you want to track these changes, you would need another table of Priorities (with fields for ThreatID, Priority, FromDate). Similarly, if a threat requires multiple resources, you would have a table of Resources, etc.

Okay great, I would need to build a second table then. So this button I am creating will be on my existing table and once I click on it, it will go to my second table. I will have to some how create a script to where the button will take me to the status scorecard (the 2nd table), now is that possible? or is there more to that?

the button will take me to the status scorecard

If you have many score cards for one threat, you can show them in a portal. To view a specific score card in more detail, place a button in the portal and set it to Go to Related Record[].

This topic is 4663 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.