Sign in to follow this  
Trinity32244

styles and themes tab control

I am new to using themes and styles.  I have chosen the onyx theme for my new project.  My issue I am having is for tab controls I put in the layout are not formatting when I change object attributes.  I have set fill and line to no fill and no lines yet it still shows up with borders and a bar behind the tab selection area.  I use transparent tab panels for a lot of user interface objectives and have wasted hours trying to figure out why it won't change when I make them in the inspector bar

Try it this way.  Set the labels to 10 points, so you can see them.  Outside the tab control, with your mouse, click and drag over the tab control so it highlights.  In the inspector>appearance tab, click the box to remove all formatting.  Then go down and change everything to 'none' or the first box (white line with line thru it). 

Don't select the tabs individually,

Then set the label width to '0', and the tabs will disappear.

I just tried it on a new/blank layout

Edit:  simplified response

Hi Trinity,

If you want to use Onyx ... that theme will be deprecated.  http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12641/kw/deprecated%20theme

If you wish to use it, copy that theme to custom theme and only use your new custom theme going forward.  It isn't indicated when these themes will be removed from theme options but it is best to start now otherwise later, you'll have to go through each layout and change them to custom later which will waste your time.

Custom themes you create can be imported between files.  You indicate you are on version 11 - please update your profile if you get the chance.  :-)

It is also very important NOT to build up a lot of local styles.  So if you use transparent tabs, save them as a style or update its current style.  If you update the current tab style by replacing existing style and then save the changes to the theme, that chance will replicate throughout your solution for all tab controls with same style name.

I thought I would pass along this heads up.

I liked the onyx style,  i.e. the white on black look. However, they are hard to read on an iPad in the bright sunlight.

Trinity

Here is a quick link to to update your profile, be sure to change all of the pertinent information beside your FileMaker version (OS and Platform). MY PROFILE

Thanks all for the advice.  I did try the method Steve advised but don't seem to see a box that removes all formatting.  I do have all fills and lines set to none.  Graphic top bar is still showing?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Asu
      I have a button script that changes the size of a selection in a text field. 
      This is it:
      Insert Calculated Result [ TextSize ( Middle ( Get ( ActiveFieldContents ) ; Get ( ActiveSelectionStart ) ; Get ( ActiveSelectionSize ) ) ; $size ) ]  A problem with this is that if the selection begins with styled characters (bold, underlined, etc) then the entire resized area becomes styled. If there is at least 1 unstyled character before the first styled one, then all styled and unstyled characters remain as they were. What is missing from the calculation? 
    • By naio
      I'm about to start a solution that needs quite an amount of layout forms and I would like to create a consistent design based on my own custom theme that has already been developed in a separate file. I use Material Design specs as style guideline and the solution is build under the separation model, so all the data is in a hosted file.
      I'm considering one of these two strategies:
      Create a repository of interface elements (text fields, tab controls, combos, portals, etc.) in a separate file (that's mostly done) and copy generic elements into my solution as I build the needed layouts  or Create layouts quickly, overlooking style and apply my theme when all of them are functional I see a drawback on the first option: if I want my element repository to continue useful I will need to keep the theme updates simultaneously in both files
      The second option looks more practical because it will allow me to focus on the data and just worry about the look at the end of the process.
      What do you think is the most productive strategy?
    • By michael3785
      I have avery big solution that was built in FM7 originally and it needs a UI overhaul. So, no themes are as good as they are I am rolling up my sleeves and putting together a reference design. have been looking around at design templates to lift (speaking frankly) and I like the FM Starting Point design. However there are a few things I need to tweak that I can't readily see how to do it in Inspector. The main one is the height of the tabs in the tab controls. They are too high for my layouts. As far I can see I either have to hack the CSS somehow or I have to use a conditional fomatting workaround, set the text size really small to reduce the height of the tab, then conditional format the text back up to the correct size, which is a bit yuck, seeing as I have lots of tabs.
      Any advice much appreciated. Many thanks.
    • By Binu Alexander
      I need a layout with larger number of text fields which may have long words .. currently words are being split randomly and overflowing into new lines ..    eg .. for the word 'accordingly';   'accordingl' comes on the first line and 'ly' comes on the second line. Is there a way that filemaker can hyphenate large words and insert breaks so that  it breaks in a more clean manner ?

• By docasar
      Hello,
      I have a tab control panel with four tabs, and I would like to achieve that when I change tabs a script is triggered and would set the value of a global field called "zzz_g_collection_type" according to the tab name which is active.
      I need this field to dynamically filter the products that are shown on 1_row portals that I have put into each tab panel space.
      I have followed Elishree Dey tip on http://burnignorance.com/filemaker-pro-tips/trigger-a-script-when-user-changes-the-tabs-in-filemaker/ but I cant make it work, it only changes the value of "collection_type" field once and only to show that the first condition is not met.
      I have attached the picture of my script.
      My initial idea was to place on each tab space a picture-field of a product as a 1 row portal and then duplicate as much as products I have so when I click on the picture a script is triggered and the product is added to the invoice.
      Morever, I have set an Object name to each tab Control so it would work, and also the desired value for zzz_g_collection_type comes from another related table with only one record that I use as preferences, this is on Preferences Table I have three fields called "Product_Type_Short_#" and those match on Elishree Day script tutorial.
      Any ideas what I could be doing wrong?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.