Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Runtime - Save as PDF solution?

MariaAux

This topic is 4560 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi everyone,

Hope you're having a great day. I understand that Filemaker don't have the adobe rights to add 'Save as PDF' to runtime solutions, and I have looked around for work-arounds. It seems the most common is to install a little printer driver and 'Print' as PDF.

Are there any free, easy to install PDF printer drivers, as it seems all the small ones I have found cost a bit?

Would I just ask the runtime client to install the PDF printer driver prior to running the filemaker runtime solution, or can it be installed in a more automatic way through scripts?

Can I create a 'Save as PDF' script within the runtime solution to 'Print' automatically to that particular PDF printer driver, or will the client need to select it from the printers drop down menu?

Are there really no other plugins or alternative solutions to this rather cumbersome problem?

Thanks for the heads up!

Regards

There are HEAPS of free pdf drivers for WIndows computers. Look harder. :D

Unfortunately it is not simple to script the creation of a pdf from one of these drivers since it requires switching printer selection, and this has traditionally been awkward and unreliable.

The free pdf printer driver allows users to save to pdf easily but does not really offer the developer a way to script their creation.

If saving to pdf is crucial to the success of the solution then it might be necessary to include the cost of FMP client in the solution.

This topic is 4560 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.