Value Lists > Value List Works But Record Pointer Not Moving

ron G

This topic is 4091 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

post-72145-0-80873600-1362193130_thumb.j

post-72145-0-12604400-1362193137_thumb.j

post-72145-0-64649300-1362193141_thumb.j

I have a MEMBERS table with the usual information:  Name, address etc...

I have a layout based on MEMBERS called Member Summary Information .  In the header of this lo I put the field Members::Name_Full and made it a POPUP.

I wrote an OnObjectModify script that runs the script above when the user selects a Member name from the popup.

<<ALL THE FIELDS ON THE LAYOUT ARE FROM MEMBERS.  When I select the popup and change members, the address information stays the same.  Why? 

How do I get the address information to update to show the newly selected Member from the popup? >> 

I tried including the PK_MemberID in the popup as the 1st field thinking that selecting a new PK would move the record pointer.  But, all I got as an error message stating that the field could not be modified.

Update:  If I select the Member from the main Member Window and THEN opened the Member Summary information layout, all the expected information is present and correct.  However, the problem remains "How do I 'refresh' that connection between the Member Summary layout and the selected Member in the popup?

Thanks for your help.'

Ron

on first glance, you are setting a global variable - $$MemberName - a global variable is not cleared until the file is closed. I think you want to set a local variable - $MemberName.

hth,

Martie

"How do I 'refresh' that connection between the Member Summary layout and the selected Member in the popup?"

Not sure I follow you Ron ... Why are you selecting windows? Your process seems unusual. Anyway did you try adding 'flush cache' to your refresh? Without seeing the file to understand the flow, I could not suggest further.

"How do I 'refresh' that connection between the Member Summary layout and the selected Member in the popup?"

Not sure I follow you Ron ... Why are you selecting windows? Your process seems unusual. Anyway did you try adding 'flush cache' to your refresh? Without seeing the file to understand the flow, I could not suggest further.

I checked 'flush...' cache and it did nothing.  Here is some additional description of what is going on:

post-72145-0-83612700-1362251997_thumb.j

When I click on the popup in the Summary Window and choose Emerson, Ralph Waldo (in red)  the script get's run and his name is selected in the 'found' on the main Membership window... in yellow (see above).  The problem is even though his information is in the main Membership window,the address information etc does NOT get updated in the Summary Window .  Flush Cache does nothing. 

Again, both Members and Sumary layouts are based on Members.  All the information on Summary is from Members.  But, it will not update when I change members from the Summary popup? ???  This seems like it should be fundamental FM behavior to change the data when the record pointer changes.... Or, am I missing something?

Thank you

Ron

I think this is a context issue.  You must have some fields mis-specified to the wrong table occurrence or your perspective is off.  Look always to the table occurrence of the layout.  Look at the table occurrence of the fields on that layout and at any table occurrence names of portals.  Then look at your graph and see how it flows based upon those TO names.

You might have the wrong value list attached ... again ... I asked about the windows - because that also points to different context - a found set in one window is NOT the same as a found set of records in the other.

I am being *really* dense, I know, and there is something I don't get.  But, it seems so simple.  There is only 1 TO involved:  Members.    The popup is based on Members::Name_LastFirstMiddle text field.  All the fields on the LO "Summary" are based on Members. 

post-72145-0-13082100-1362255426_thumb.j

Selecting a name from the popup DOES not result in the LO Summary fields (address for example) changing to reflect the 'new' selected member.

Why?  What am I doing wrong? 

Thanks

Ron

Your found record stayed back in the prior window.  Probably.  And now I'm done unless I see a file - I've already expended my 100 guesses for the day.  :)

Ahm, I have walked through this several times and I am dizzy trying to understand why in the world you are doing what you are doing.  If you can tell me what you want to accomplish and not how YOU think it should be accomplished ... just in simple steps as 1, 2, 3  like explaining to a child - how you would go about manually achieving your goal then we might get somewhere.

Otherwise others are always welcome to suggest - I miss obvious things many times.  Why are you showing all records only to perform a find against them immediately?  Why are you opening multiple windows - they each hold their own unique found sets.

You really need to comment your scripts.  If you create a script and insert a comment then duplicate it unteen times then space out and walk through the logic ... 'I need to do this then this then this' and you can insert steps and pieces inbetween as you go.  They make the logic clear and it flows.  Then when done, LEAVE the comments because it will refresh your memory later (or help other developers who come after).

Hang in there, Ron.  And just so ya know ... if I don't ever answer someone it is because I'm just not available or I am clueless.

Edited by LaRetta

Ahm, I have walked through this several times and I am dizzy trying to understand why in the world you are doing what you are doing.  If you can tell me what you want to accomplish and not how YOU think it should be accomplished ... just in simple steps as 1, 2, 3  like explaining to a child - how you would go about manually achieving your goal then we might get somewhere.

OK.  The goal is to open the Summary Layout (Press the red circle on the main LO).  This brings forth information from whatever Member was actively shown the main Members Layout.  But, if I select a different Member from the Summary LO popup (in red), the *new* Member information should show on the Summary Layout.  It does not do this and I do not know how to get it to 'refresh' or otherwise instruct FM to 'reestablish' the link between Member and Summary LOs.

Ultimately I will add the Awards Portal, Committee Portal etc so that all that information in it's details will be visible.  Right now I would be pleased to just see the address change to the member selected in the popup. 

So, here are the steps;

1)  From the main Membership window, click the big red circle at the top.  This opens the Summary LO (based on Members).

2)  Notice the address and the member name.  Everything is correct.

3)  Using the popup at the upper left corner, select a different member.  Notice how the Member Window 'gets' the new member selection but the Summary window changes the Member name but NOT the member address.

That is the problem.  I want the address (for example) to change when I change Member.

I hope I am being clear?

Thanks for your help and comments.

Ron

Otherwise others are always welcome to suggest - I miss obvious things many times.  Why are you showing all records only to perform a find against them immediately?  Why are you opening multiple windows - they each hold their own unique found sets.

You really need to comment your scripts.  If you create a script and insert a comment then duplicate it unteen times then space out and walk through the logic ... 'I need to do this then this then this' and you can insert steps and pieces inbetween as you go.  They make the logic clear and it flows.  Then when done, LEAVE the comments because it will refresh your memory later (or help other developers who come after).

Hang in there, Ron.  And just so ya know ... if I don't ever answer someone it is because I'm just not available or I am clueless.

That is the problem.  I want the address (for example) to change when I change Member.

You have it pretty-much locked down so I am mostly blind.  All I can say is that the pop-up is NOT global (it changes values when scrolled).  So are the addresses another table?  I am blind!! 

Here is what you need to do:  Create a new test file, put a few records, create only the barest necessity to re-create a few fields to show its structure and if you do this and then ask, 'how can I get this new window to change' .  If you do that then I will take one more stab at this otherwise not.

ADDED:  I would also suggest that you spend more time in debugger seeing how many triggers fire needlessly throughout a simple task.  What you want is NOT difficult and your script which runs is overly-complex.  Using a new file will help get clarity to the situation. :yep:

Edited by LaRetta

hmmm.  The only triggers that fire is the little script at the top of the posting.  So, debug doesn't show anything but the firing of that script when I make a popup selection.   Yes, there are some redundant 'show all' lines.  But, my experience is that some redundancy is ok as long as it doesn't interfere with workability  (after all, once working, it can be removed without consequence). 

I am surprised that you find the problem so difficult to grasp.  After all it does involve but 1 table occurrence and all fields reference that TO.    I am coming to the conclusion that this situation is either a bug in FM or it is just too difficult for someone else to grasp.

Thank you very much for your efforts and comments.   It is always nice to hear what more experienced creators have to say.

hmmm.  I am surprised that you find the problem so difficult to grasp.  After all it does involve but 1 table occurrence and all fields reference that TO.    I am coming to the conclusion that this situation is either a bug in FM or it is just too difficult for someone else to grasp.

You have it locked up.  I cannot assist you in finding why it breaks because it is NOT obvious by just running through it.  If others could resolve it, please I encourage them to proceed.     :crazy2:

I'm not going to be of any help whatsoever when I say I've read this thread a few times and can make no sense of it. One table? Why use a different window or layout? Why not use one form view and trigger a find when the name field is entered? There is no relationship involved so I don't see the problem. Ron, it seems that whatever it is you're trying to do, you're taking the long way around unnecessarily.

You have it locked up.  I cannot assist you in finding why it breaks because it is NOT obvious by just running through it.  If others could resolve it, please I encourage them to proceed.     :crazy2:

I'm not going to be of any help whatsoever when I say I've read this thread a few times and can make no sense of it. One table? Why use a different window or layout? Why not use one form view and trigger a find when the name field is entered? There is no relationship involved so I don't see the problem. Ron, it seems that whatever it is you're trying to do, you're taking the long way around unnecessarily.

Yes, I probably am taking the 'long' way around.  But, that is the basis for my posting.  "Is there a better way to tackle this problem?"  What I am trying clearly does not work.

So, I have posted a movie.  If you watch the movie you will have, I hope, a clear understanding of the objectives. 

Got it.

After posting on another forum, I 'got' that I needed to create a 2nd TO of Members (I called it MembersSummary) and added a globalfield called gFK_MemberID.  From MembersSummary I just linked gFK_MemberID with Members::PK_MemberID.  After setting up the popup, everything worked great.  I hope this helps someone else.

This topic is 4091 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.