Server Maintenance This Week. ×

retrieving XML from FMS13

This topic is 3783 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Happy new year, everybody.

I'm going to ask my narrow question, but then also give the background of what I'm trying to accomplish. If experienced users have a recommendation for solvinig my problem a different way, I'm open to it.

The narrow question is this: I believe that FMS is publishing XML data, and I have access to the machine where it would be found, but I don't know where to find it. In other words, when I visit 011.022.33.44:16000 (fake IP addresses for the sake of simplicity), I get the FMS start page. But I don't know where to go next to find the XML data for my databases. Different port? Note getting responses at ports 443, 2399, 5003.

(At port 80, I get this error: Secure Connection Failed - An error occurred during a connection to 011.022.33.44:80. SSL received a record that exceeded the maximum permissible length. (Error code: ssl_error_rx_record_too_long)

* When I say I believe that FMS is publishing XML data, here's what I mean: I haven't yet touched the live databases that staff already use for events (because they're live), but I have created a simple one-table database called XML_publishing_ test that shows a solid dot under the XML column in FMS admin. There is also a file called FMServer_Sample.fmp12 that is up and running, if anyone wants me to look at that for debug purposes.

The background information is this: a contractor is just about done putting together a new Web site for the public library. It's built on DotNetNuke. The two chief sets of "moving parts" will be editorial content (added & edited by staff direct in the CMS) and a calendar list of upcoming events (porting directly from FMS to a MySQL database underpinning the CMS). We think the smart way to acconplish this is via XML publishing but I am open to taking a different approach (including, if necessary, reorganizing the database structure), if there's a reason.

We do not need bidirectional support at this time but I would like to leave the door open for it in the future (meaning patron registration for these events). I mention that only in case it affects a recommendation.

I might be open to a solution that involves patrons clicking away from the library's CMS to some dedicated FMP web service fro a detailed calendar view, but this data does need to be streamed at least into the home page (and I'd prefer to keep the entire user experience inside the CMS).

The sample file is set up to allow all connection types: FMP, ODBC, XML... so that is a good test database.

The port you need to connect is whatever you have set up on your web server so it is going to be port 80 if you have not enabled SSL or port 443 if you do.  That is assuming you did not configure the web server.

Port 16000 is to get access to the server's admin console

Port 5003 is for FileMaker Pro and Go data access

Port 2399 is for ODBC or JDBC access to FMS

In order to get XML data you have to form the proper URL request to FMS.  If these connections are going to done from the DotNetNuke code then you may want to check out fmDotNet.org, it does the heavy lifting and keeps everything in the .NET developer's comfort zone.

Also know that DotNetNuke can make an ODBC connection to FMS instead of going through the XML API.

a calendar list of upcoming events (porting directly from FMS to a MySQL database underpinning the CMS). We think the smart way to acconplish this is via XML publishing 

This is a little unclear: if you are pushing data from FMS to MySQL you don't need the XML API at all.  You can use the FileMaker ESS feature (External SQL Sources) and make a live connection to the SQL tables.

So maybe this would be the simplest way for me to phrase this question:

I'm running FileMaker Server on Windows 7 and would like to push information one way to a non-local SQL database. I'm comfortable in FileMaker, but have no experience connecting to external resources. I'm working with a developer who's adept in DotNetNuke (and owns the server) but doesn't have experience in FMP.

Would your recommendation be that we use ESS? (That seems simplest to me.)

Or that we use fmDotNet (which seems to be the right tool but it makes me nervous that it hasn't been updated in several years)?

Or another approach?

The choice comes down to who needs/wants to be responsible for the data in MySQL.  Using ESS is very easy for a FM developer.  Using fmDotNet should be very easy for .NET developer.

If you have the time available then doing a quick proof-of-concept using ESS is going to be the fastest way.

The most recent fork of fmDotNet is here, and was updated a few months ago.  The XML API in FMS has not significantly changed in years so sometimes, no changes is a good thing :)

https://github.com/WizardSoftware/fmDotNet

This topic is 3783 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.