Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Virtual List page construction error

ryyno10

This topic is 3654 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm attempting to implement the virutal list technique in a database that generates patient consult letters and such.  The transcriptionist transfer text from word documents, after transcribing a dictation, into a text field.  This information is then electronically signed by the physician and populated in queue for faxing.  After the document is e-signed it is viewable to various user groups at which time the virtual list generates a document in preview mode (for printing, viewing, etc.).  However, I can't seem to find a way to "chop" paragraphs towards the bottom of the page. 

For example, if the first paragraph of a letter is close to 300 characters and paragraph two is closer to 1000 characters, paragraph 2 is displayed on the next page leaving a large blank space at the end of the first page.  The only solution, thus far, has been to introduce another carriage return where the longer paragraphs "should" break (this will be sure to drive the transcriptionist crazy and effect production). 

Has anyone experienced this problem with the virtual list?  I've search the web for a solution but was unsuccessful finding a solution (or direction to solve the issue).  (Also, I'm working on a file to post)

For example, if the first paragraph of a letter is close to 300 characters and paragraph two is closer to 1000 characters, paragraph 2 is displayed on the next page leaving a large blank space at the end of the first page. 

it seems this is a problem with printing text across page breaks - not necessarily having anything to do with the virtual list technique, is it not?

it seems this is a problem with printing text across page breaks - not necessarily having anything to do with the virtual list technique, is it not?

For instance, if a there is a long paragraph it does not run from one page to the next...  it is simply pushed onto its own page.

I've heard of using a virtual list to control page breaks -- basically, you take a large block of text and each paragraph becomes a record in the virtual table, and you tell it to not break the body part across pages. Works OK for shorter paragraphs. If you're going to allow paragraphs to break across pages, then why even complicate things with a virtual list? Just print the original text field.

Automatic message
This topic has been moved from "Value Lists" to "Printing".

I've heard of using a virtual list to control page breaks -- basically, you take a large block of text and each paragraph becomes a record in the virtual table, and you tell it to not break the body part across pages. Works OK for shorter paragraphs. If you're going to allow paragraphs to break across pages, then why even complicate things with a virtual list? Just print the original text field.

Automatic message

This topic has been moved from "Value Lists" to "Printing".

I decided to try the virtual list due to page cut-off that occurs in filemaker if the text is longer than one page (this is really looks unprofessional and often unreadable). Either the text is cut in half or the line of a document simply disappears (which is a huge problem considering this is medical information for patients with cancer).  Thus, the only work around I've concluded to use is the virutal list.  To be honest, everything works great except when a short paragraph is followed by a long paragraph (at which point the short paragraph appears on the first page with a large amount of white space ). 

here is a shot of the issue...

post-107230-0-89948300-1398084050_thumb.

post-107230-0-46773000-1398084103_thumb.

If you don't want the typists to manually insert the page breaks, the next best option may be to export the data and do a mail merge in a word processor.

Hadn't thought of that -- make every line its own paragraph, that should mesh very well with the virtual list.

I haven't been able to upgrade to 13 yet due to our hospital's slow transition to windows 7.  Do lines still get cut off when printing large documents?

If you don't want the typists to manually insert the page breaks, the next best option may be to export the data and do a mail merge in a word processor.

I can have the typist insert the breaks but what about the previously typed letters?  I have tried to calculate the number of characters per page in order to insert carriage returns, however, it seems to be an ardous work around.  I'm trying to keep things simple but have yet to develop, or find, a better way to go about this...

I don't know if 12 or 13 have improved. Years ago I set up a solution for transcriptions, and we ended up just putting a bold red line where the typist would need to insert a page break. Not very elegant, but it worked well enough.

I still think you should explore exporting and printing -- you may be able to automate this more easily than messing around with in-FileMaker kludges.

• Like 1

I don't know if 12 or 13 have improved. Years ago I set up a solution for transcriptions, and we ended up just putting a bold red line where the typist would need to insert a page break. Not very elegant, but it worked well enough.

I still think you should explore exporting and printing -- you may be able to automate this more easily than messing around with in-FileMaker kludges.

I like your suggestion.  Transcription could just as easily place a carriage return if the line is cut off versus splitting long paragraphs in the virtual list.  Partly, i shot myself in the foot deploying a solution without thoroughly testing...  lesson learned.  I thought I would be able to create a script that would place a return when needed but ultimately that approach is cumbersome and would likely be difficult to make adjustments in the future.

How did you determine where the red line would appear?  Did you calculate total characters per page?

This topic is 3654 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.