FMP can't import Scribe-modified .xlsx file

This topic is 3587 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I’m running into a problem with FMP not recognizing an Excel file I saved using the ScribeDocSave() function

I’m using Scribe to read an xlsx spreadsheet, search for a value in the first row, and change the value in a cell. Reason being- I plan to import this file using the Import File script step and I need the field name to match exactly (it’s not always in the same column in the first row).
That part works perfectly and was easy to implement. Then I save the modified file to a temporary directory.

The trouble is, if I try to import the modified file into FMP I get the following error:

The selected Excel workbook has an unsupported file format.
Please convert the workbook to the Excel 2007, or Excel 2008 file format and try again.

Is this a known issue, and is there a workaround?

I’m on a Mac (OS X 10.9.3)

A cursory check of Scribe documentation seems to indicate that it uses the newer .xlsx format only and not the older .xls format.

The error seems to indicate it wants a .xlsx formatted file.

Maybe it is the name of the file suffix, or you are modifying a .xls file with .xlsx file attributes which is causing the error?

• Newbies

Thanks Brian,

I'm using .xlsx files from start to finish in the script. What's weird is that I can import the modified file after open/save as/overwrite/close in Excel. It seems like the Scribe plugin corrupts the xlsx file in some way to make it unrecognizable. I'm trying to figure out if this is a known issue with a workaround, or if I need to write an Applescript to do the open/save as/overwrite/close.

Hey Stewart,

As far as I know, this is not a known issue, but I'd definitely like to check out the .xlsx files before and after the open/save as/overwrite/close operation. If there's some issue with the way Scribe is handling .xlsx files, that's something we should address here, as opposed to you writing an apple script to work around it.

Send me a PM so we can open up some dialog on this specific case.

This topic is 3587 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.