Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Server hung in a period

This topic is 3544 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Server is hung. But continues to work. Clients connect to the normal mode. Felt delays. But on the server nothing can be done, any act, stop, create a script, gives an error error enсountered. Not displaying data on the number of connections, information on the status of the server graphics. 
It happens periodic enough, sometimes the server is running a month, sometimes a week, sometimes a day normally. 
I can not understand what causes the failure. 
Restarting the server through  windows server solves the problem, but until the next failure.
What it can be? 
Widnows Server 2008 ; FileMaker Server 12

It could be that it is just the admin console not being responsive.  Close it and run this command from the command line:

fmsadmin restart adminserver

(this will not disconnect any clients or interfere with the database engine).

(you will need to navigate to the FMS database engine folder from the command line first, to be able to run fmsadmin)

Don't leave the admin console open for long periods of time, that seems to contribute to this kind of behavior.

Do verify that there are no DMP files in the FMS logs folder to make sure that nothing else is going on like silent FMS crashes.

Thank you, this command is very helpfull. Another way I will do this comman automatically twice a week.

Another question is: how I can optimize db? because when I'm editin db, make new tables and fields, it takes about 30 sec to save it. I'm dissapointed that when it saving, users that using db in this moment need to wait for the end of save. 

I think that it's not big db for hard working. 

There are 64 tables; 804 relationships; 157 layouts

what can I do?

It is usually not a good idea to do development on a live system with users doing work in it.  On each schema commit (new field, new table, field modification,...) you are locking users out of the ability to create new records etc.  It's a recipe for disaster if you have a busy system.

If users are committing data changes at the same moment that you want to commit a schema change then FM will wait for the user activity to complete first.

Thanks.

There are 68 tables had relationships with all logic tables ( i think about 500 )  in one chain. Thats why it take long time to save or make changes in the DB.

I make 3 times faster db with partition of thith chain to many blocks with own relationships. 

Thank you for your fast answers.

This topic is 3544 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.