Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Yosemite OS X 10.10 The FileMaker installation process was unable to communicate with the web server.

This topic is 3451 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

While FMI is a subsidiary of Apple, it does not mean that they decide anything at Apple.

When Apple is developing a new version of OSX, there is a ton of stuff going on. So even though FMI, as other developers, get access to beta versions, there is so much that changes between the different builds, that it is virtually impossibly to make sure that a new version of the FileMaker product range will be working correctly when the new OS is being released.

And, the FileMaker platform is a big product, not like the small applications, that is being released on the same day as the new OS is being released.

Aside from that, it is, and has always been, a good practise to wait for upgrading to a new OS version, until at least the first vRev is being released. Here we are talking about server product in production systems. Our customers is hugely dependent on our solutions being stable and reliable, so I don't want FMI to release a vRev, that is not thoroughly engineered and proven stable. The only way to ensure this as best as possibly is to engineer on the released version of the OS.

And frankly, I don't understand why you are in such a hurry....

Sorry, but it always annoys me to hear such comments when there is new releases of an OS.

• Newbies

Claus I see your point, nobody should be early adopters without checking - but programmers are about the only people on earth that aren't dumb enough to follow Apple's instructions and click 'UPGRADE TO THIS SHINY NEW SYSTEM - ITS FREE!!' when it comes out. Just look at the world's media to work that out, it was everywhere. Everyone wants to be first.

It sure would be nice of FileMaker to send out an email saying DO NOT INSTALL YOSEMITE YET to all their licensed users. Especially seeing as Apple bug you often to install it. After all, they can send me newsletters every other day for basic things I don't even need like how to lay out a page in FileMaker Go, why can't they send a useful one now and then? 

Communications between the companies can't be that bad that they don't know it's coming out, compatible or not. Hell they would have had the beta a while - so could easily determine it's not working - and even used FileMaker to send the newsletter ahead of release day using a server script!!

I had to be the one to send this mail to my Mac clients - I was on holiday so I sent it 3 days after release - luckily it stopped all of them upgrading and nobody got burned/had to stop work. One of my friend's clients was not so lucky and just clicked it, thinking nothing would break; he had to reinstall his entire server or stop work completely. That could have been avoided with some communication and organisation from FileMaker, who build the tools for this sort of thing and sell them to us!

Yes it's his fault but yes also more could be done to stop it happening to typical end users who aren't good at tech. 

/just my 2c

I appreciate the comments Claus, but, this relationship between Apple & Filemaker has not been a strong one for some time now. When you sign up for the yearly maintenance agreement you expect better performance and timeliness with their FMP products because that is what they promised. To post an arcane notice basically saying "oops" after a year+ of development we are still not supporting Yosemite is at best bad management! Did FMP Management forget to pass along the "Yosemite beta" development memo to the design staff?

Just watch, the next Yosemite update will fix a few things and Filemaker will still not have their product released to support it. Just follow the history of Java FMP support and you will see Filemaker's "reactive" rather than "proactive" approach to everything they do.

Chris, while I am reluctant to answer your post, you clearly don't know a thing about, what you are talking about.

If you are so hooked on upgrading to the newest OS release (Mac or Windows for that matter) you are just asking for trouble.

Do you want problems as a result of FMI releasing a vRev. that is not thougroughly engineered and tested ?

This is a platform, that is largely used for business solutions and nobody that is serious about their development and solutions are so plain stupid that they are upgrading production systems to newest OS upgrade.

John Lewis: If you have a good idea for FMI, I suggest that you write it to them on their website. They actually listen very much to the community.

For the record, FileMaker Pro/Advanced do not have any real problematic issues when running under Yosemite.

If there is a server admin somewhere, who just upgrade the server OS as soon as it is released, he/she is clearly very incompetent.

You know, you can't account for stupidity. The next complain would then be, why FMI is not calling up all licensed customers and tell them to not upgrade.

People is really allowed to use their brains.

If you have clients, that is just upgrading, it is your responsibility to inform them that they should never do so. It can't be the responsibility of FMI.

All that being said, I am pretty sure that the engineering teams at FMI is working hard on getting releases ready.

But they have to get it right the first time. That is important !

And by the way, FMI has a long track record of releasing stable and thoroughly tested released. Thank god for that !

Have a nice weekend.

I am in agreement with Claus on this matter. FMI did immediately issue two Technical Bulletins when Yosemite was released. Those bulletins clearly stated the compatibility issues for Version 13 and for earlier versions.

http://thefmkb.com/13966 for 13

http://thefmkb.com/13951for 12 and earlier.

That said, the email idea is a possibly fruitful one. Perhaps you can submit that to FMI.

Steven

I'll count my lucky stars then - I upgraded my 2011 MacMini to Yosemite - server 13 is running fine! Normally I am bit hesitant to be an early adopter - not sure what came over me!

• 3 weeks later...

I call BS on the whole Apple/Filemaker argument AND the Yosemite argument.

Same thing has been happening with Mac OSX 10.7 and up with FM Server 12.

Ha.

The PTB (many places and filemaker inc) say " Java!" or "SSL" but you have to reinstall everything and cross your fingers.

How many screen shots do I have of this issue on my desktop?

How many times have I reinstalled FM Server when the console stops working?

If it wasn't EXACTLY the same issue as v12 I would agree, sorry.

Just because FMI says its so and it has been so for multiple years doesn't mean it's not their fault.

I can tell you your window is broken and I might apologize for breaking your window but I still broke your window.

And some think the html5 console is better.

And some are ready to pay a subscription and multwebiuser fees.

And I say "Really?"

Always have enjoyed using the product though, when it works. Sigh.

Say what you will. FMS has clearly not been certified to run on Yosemite and FMI has been clear on this issue. I agree it seems odd, but there's been no obfuscation.

• Newbies

Hi all not sure if the following helps:

I upgraded server to Yosemite and filemaker would not connect to server. Checked forums to find out that FM server not compatible with Yosemite! I resigned myself to either waiting for a FM fix to FM server or rolling mac back to previous operating system. I thought i would sleep over it and decide what to do the next day. Miraculously, the FM server was up and running and database status back to normal.

I have noticed a few tiny issues but nothing serious enough to prevent working with the database.

Depolyed latest Yosemite Server update and the same thing happened again. Database status "closed" and couldn't find any way of opening it. Left it overnight and everything back working, database open, no connection issues!     

This topic is 3451 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.