FM Server 12 web access?

This topic is 3349 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Let me start by saying I'm not a server or Windows expert in any way, shape, or form. I am the one-eyed FileMaker guru in the land of the blind, therefore, I'm the expert by default. :) I have taught myself everything I know from books and this forum and lots of trial and error.

Our FileMaker server environment (v 12) is humming along just fine, and now corporate wants to revoke my access to the server and have everything go through a ticket system at the corporate level, which would mean a review by a board for any time I need to take the files offline. They estimate it'd probably be a week's wait for each ticket to be reviewed and approved, and then someone remote would have to take the files offline. Aside from the fact that I can't fathom waiting a week at a time for a simple fix (and other more complex issues having to do with financial reporting requirements and deadlines for such), apparently there is an idea floating at corporate that I should be able to access the server admin console via a web browser and not need to log in to the server, which is what I do now.

Is this something that is possible with the basic "out of the box" FileMaker Server 12?  If I can actually access the admin console through a web browser, then this loss of server access is probably not a big deal, but I don't even know where to begin looking for that. Any pointers in the right direction? Google is not my friend this afternoon.

Thanks!

Yes, it's possible.  Has been since forever :)

http://www.filemaker.com/support/product/docs/12/fms/fms12_getting_started_en.pdf

See page 40, Chapter 3.

http://<the host>:16000

Note that you may run into all sorts of Java web start issues depending on your browser.  The admin console itself is a java app and it uses java web start to launch from the browser.

Back to your conundrum though: you will not be able to make any changes to FM files however through the console.  You can not access the files directly or download them to local machine.

What corporate is asking for is not uncommon and it all has to do with risk management.  Don't fight it, embrace it.  Let the business do your fighting for you if they can not get their fixes and quick new features in time.

Apart from that: set up a dev environment, do all your coding there.  Beef up the testing & QA so that there will be less need for panic-fixes.

Talk to the guys that set up up the new approval system and work on a classification for live work:

1- emergency fixes

2- new feature roll-out

New features can work well within their requirements; that's just planning.  Emergency fixes is something else.  But be careful here because it is a two-edged sword.  If you flood them with a great many emergency fixes requests then your software will be perceived as highly unstable and untrustworthy, and they'll start looking for replacements.  Because that is what this is all about; they want to evaluate the risk of the software and its development process.

This topic is 3349 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.