Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Filter Data Based on Dropdown list

Nuno Neto

This topic is 3151 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Good morning,

I have a table with Jobs and each job is related to a specific year.

I would like to have a Drop down list in my Jobs layout that would filter all the jobs for the specfic year. I have tried to use Value lists and read the year data from a table. Both options and due to the fact that I have to select a Jobs table related field to use the Dropdown invalidates my attempts.

I would like to have a dropdown list that does not store anything and it just serves as a trigger to filter data. Is this possible? If so, how?

Thank you for your time in advance.

Nuno Neto

What you are looking for is a valuelist based on the content of a field; Perhaps seen through a relationship?

Edited by ggt667

I would like to have a dropdown list that does not store anything and it just serves as a trigger to filter data. Is this possible? If so, how?

You are describing a global field: http://www.filemaker.com/help/14/fmp/en/html/create_db.8.26.html

If you want your selection to "filter" data in the Jobs table while you're in a layout of the Jobs table, you will have to perform a find after making the selection (you could use a script triggered by modifying the global field for this). Alternatively, you can use a relationship to show the filtered records in a portal.

Edited by comment

If you are keeping track of user activity this field will most likely be a regular field and not a global one.

Not a global. Hm.

So you are recommending that when I search for something, your found set changes and you see my results?

Only if you want to track user activity in the user interface itself.

If you design the solution in a way that your GUI is your log table and view the data via relationships. You will be able to make a solution much like a web browser.

This topic is 3151 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.