dysong3

some scripts make FM15 crash, but not FM 14, 13 or 12

13 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I have a number of scripts that have worked perfectly for years in previous versions of FileMaker, however in FMP 15 they causse FM to crash.  They only way I have found to avoid the crash is to use the debugger and to use the "step into" button.  That of course is a very cumbersome workaround. You can see one of the culprits below.  Anyone have any ideas what's wrong here?

Untitled 2.jpeg

Edited by dysong3

On what step does it crash, and what does the crash log say?

As an aside: you should avoid copy and paste.  As step # set a variable to the content of the field.  And in step 4 set the field to the content of the variable.

Posted (edited)

Sorry for being a dummy, but how do you access the FM crash log?  I've just googled it and found nothing.

Of course you're right about copy and paste.  It just goes to show how old some of these scripts are, they were made before variables were part of FM and I've never got around to correcting them.  That is not the reason for the crashing as I've just corrected it and it still happens.

Edited by dysong3

Have you tried using the Error Capture in your script?

It sounds like your file may have developed corruption. 

Have you tried opening it in the previous version of FileMaker? Does it still crash?

Do you have a backup copy of the file? If so, does it have the same problem?

Hmm Error capture doesn't seem to offer any help.  The scripts still work perfectly well in previous versions of FM.  I have backups and the oldest backup I could find, more than a year old, behaves in the same manner.  The same scripts make FM15 crash.

When an app on Mac crashes you have the option to view or save the crash log.  Sometimes there are good clues in there.  Don't paste it here because it is long, paste it into a text editor and attach it here.

Do you have any onTimers on the any open windows?

Is there a web viewer on any of the layouts involved?

No onTimers, but there is a web viewer.

Remove the web viewer from the layout and see if it still crashes.

Well the web viewer appears to be the culprit.  But that doesn't resolve my problem as I would like the script to work and keep the web viewer.  Any ideas on how to do that

We would need to know a lot more detail about the process / workflow that you have going...

Hello,

Your Os seems to be Sierra and Java 1.6 ?

It seems also that you don't have engouh free memory. Maybe the cute / paste is using to much memory in the clipboard.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By matthewrollinson
      Hi!
      I recently moved my Filemaker databases to a new Windows server. And since then, I’m having sporadic “Database Server process has terminated abnormally” Error 701. This is accompanied in the Windows event logs with application error 1000, and these are the details:
      Faulting application name: fmserver.exe, version: 15.0.3.308, time stamp: 0x58124553
      Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.3.9600.18438, time stamp: 0x57ae642e
      Exception code: 0xc0000374
      Fault offset: 0x00000000000f1b70
      Faulting process id: 0x624
      Faulting application start time: 0x01d2a8b983d812e3
      Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\FileMaker\FileMaker Server\Database Server\fmserver.exe
      Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
      Report Id: 2fea4014-160e-11e7-80c2-109836ac1fba
      Faulting package full name:
      Faulting package-relative application ID:
      This did not happen on the older Windows Server, which was 2008. The new server is 2012 R2 Standard
      It first occurred on the first day I starting using the databases on the new server. So updated FM Server 15 to latest (15.3). I then performed all available Windows updates, updated Java. Then a few days elapsed before Filemaker failed again, with exact same errors.
      So I performed a recover on the databases within Filemaker, just to check. All fine. I also downgraded FM Server to version 14 to eliminate FM Server 15 as an issue. After downgrading to 14 we had 6 days then before it failed. But last night it went again with same errors.
      It seems to occur when a scheduled Filemaker script is being run on the server. But oddly, when the server is quiet, ie. After 18:00 when people have logged off and gone home, or at lunch break.  The Filemaker scripts are run every 30 mins during office hours, so run many many times over the days between failures with success, and did so for years before I moved to new server.
      When the 701 error occurs, I’m forced to reboot the server. It doesn’t auto restart the process after failure.
      I would be incredibly grateful for any advice on this. Anyone aware of issues similar?
    • By 123
      Hey,
      I want to use the same header on all my layouts in FileMaker Pro 15 Advanced but I can't seem to find a way to accomplish it. I read on Google and other forums that there is no way to do it, however the posts I found are all at least a year or two old. Did they add a way to do it in FileMaker 15 or do I still need to duplicate a layout to get the same header on a different one?
      Thanks in advance,
      Mike
    • By 123
      Hey,
      I have a Tab-Separated Text File which I want to import to a database that I just created in FileMaker Pro 15. The text file essentially is a log of events, for instance, one line describes an order, another line describes a payment that has been made. The problem is that I somehow need to import all these lines into different tables. I want all lines in the log file that describe a payment in a table called Payments, and all lines that describe an order in a table called Orders for example.
      I'm just starting out with FileMaker so forgive me if there is an obvious solution that I'm not aware of. I have a background in software development, so the only solution that I can think of is writing a small program myself that does all the parsing for me and creates separate text files that contain all the orders and payments and other events that have been logged in the file. Then I could simply import each file into the table I need all the data in. 
      So to sum everything up, my main question is if there is a way to somehow parse the text file before importing it. I know that you can create custom scripts in FileMaker but I'm not sure if what I need to do can be done just with that.
      Thanks in advance,
      Mike
    • By sal88
      Hi all
      We have a web based tickets portal which creates new messages in our filemaker database - this is for customers' use. It does this using the PHP API (the website was developed by a third party). We would like the owners of tickets to be notified when the customer has added a message to one of the tickets that they are in charge of.
      Is there a way for filemaker/filemaker server to trigger a 'send email' script when a new record is created via the web portal? Or would it be simpler for this action to occur on the web side?
      Many thanks
    • By vincenzo
      Hello, I am using l am filemaker 15 pro advanced in windows 10 computer (64 bit, 8gb ram).  I buy it few week ago and i converted my database from the old version fm5. The database work properly but it is very slow to open, about 60 second or more. I am working as standalone (no remote connection). I noted thta if the PC is offline (no network or internet connection) the database open in less that 6 second. It is very strange because I have not any ip configuration and any sharing option... what can be the problem?
      Thank you in advance
      Vincenzo