File becomes password protected on its own

Asu

This topic is 2770 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello - I opened a very simple file I have been using for years (originated as v12 now 15) and it presented me with a password window. It is a simple index card file containing study material  and it has never ever been password protected. 

I tried with my computer account info and it did not work.  Admin-admin or blank-blank ditto. Again, it has never been password protected as it had no reason to be. Fortunately I could restore it from a backup drive, of course it was not password protected and it opened without a hitch. 

How could this have happened? Has anyone ever heard about such thing? 

10 hours ago, Asu said:

Admin-admin or blank-blank ditto.

Ok, but this reads you tried

User = Admin PW = Admin

User = Blank PW = Blank 

Check the finder lever permissions in the Get Info. i.e. select the file and look at the “Sharing and Permissions"

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Asu said:

Fortunately I could restore it from a backup drive ... How could this have happened? Has anyone ever heard about such thing? 

Hi Asu!

I have a few questions.  How are you accessing that file?  Do you have it stored on Dropbox or on another computer that you log onto?  Are you hosting it or using FileMaker Server?  How do you back it up?  Improperly accessing the file xor using backup utilities while the file is open can corrupt the file so it will help if you fill us in on your setup.  :-)

I did want to clarify that being asked for password on non-protected file is rarely (if ever?) from corruption.  I mention it only because, over the years, I've known a few trusted Developers swear that it can happen if a file is corrupt but that is extremely rare if it happens at all.

I mostly keyed in on 'backup drive' terminology, feared backing up while the file is open, and wanted to address how a file can become corrupt.  How a file is accessed, backed up and anti-virus implemented can all play a part.

Lee: Admin - blank indeed opened the file. Sorry I misunderstood your question. The permissions are the same for both files. 

LaRetta: The file is indeed in folder within a Dropbox account. Mac OS 10.11.5. FMP Advanced 15.0.1.119. The restoration occurred from a Time Machine backup.  No anti-virus sw.

Asu

Thank you for clarifying, Asu.  I am pleased Lee's suggestion helped you.

When using Time Machine - the inherit risk: "the old version" ; "the new version"  -> means you have no control over it and a simple OS update may be disastrous.  It is easier to zip & copy a backup to a place where Time Machine is allowed to pick it up.  In general, the script step 'Save A Copy As' will help when opened locally; an excellent implementation by Jeremy Bante can be found here:  Local Backup

A FileMaker file can be a host file and is safer than Dropbox.  You can perform a search here for 'dropbox' and find many posts about potential corruption and offering you safer methods of file access. :-)

Edited by LaRetta

This topic is 2770 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.