Sign in to follow this  
rpan

Understanding how fonts and text formatting work

Wondering if anyone can explain to me how font's work in filemaker.  We often find when importing and exporting data from one filemaker file to another the font gets changes both in font size and formatting.  Does anyone have any advice on how this works?

Best,

Rich

If you change Themes, or you don’t import the theme you were using, the new theme will change the Font attributes, along with some other things. If you copy and paste data, then you need to setup the fields to remove the data being pasted or imported.

1 hour ago, rpan said:

We often find when importing and exporting data from one filemaker file to another the font gets changes both in font size and formatting.

More details would be useful.

In general, a Filemaker text field can hold two types of text: plain text or styled text (incl. a mixture of the two). Plain text has no styling attributes and is displayed using the styles attached to the field instance on the layout. Moving the text to another file, where the field is formatted in a another way. will result in the same text being displayed in another font, font size, color, etc. You can even place another instance of the same field on the same layout and format it differently.

Edited by comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Peter Wagemans
      Yesterday, I tried to move a script that creates a PDF ( and mails it ) to a server side script, as the "save records as PDF" script step is now supported in server side scripts.
      It did not work correctly, and generated an error 800 (file could not be created on disk) in the server log. Rather generic error.
      I changed the script to point to a blank layout instead. No more error. A nice blank PDF was created.
      I put a text box with "test" in it on the layout, Arial 12 point. -> error 800
      I removed the text box and put a png graphic on the layout -> OK
      I put a text box in a font that I was sure of the server did not have -> OK!
      I tried this several times, 2 several fonts, and the results and errors were consistent. So if during the PDF creation, the server replaces the font reference by its own replacement font reference, it is able to save as PDF. If a reference lik "Arial" is used, it fails and the server reports the generic error that it can not create the file on disk (800).
      I'm using MacOS 10.12.4 as client and Window Server 2012R2 as the server. Maybe there is a cross platform issue here? As always, more testing is required.
      Can anyone confirm similar issues? Any workarounds that are known? Any thoughts and insights?
    • By Binu Alexander
      I need a layout with larger number of text fields which may have long words .. currently words are being split randomly and overflowing into new lines ..    eg .. for the word 'accordingly';   'accordingl' comes on the first line and 'ly' comes on the second line. Is there a way that filemaker can hyphenate large words and insert breaks so that  it breaks in a more clean manner ?

• By Guy_Smith
      This is getting frustrating:  About ten percent of the time I open a file, all of the layouts are displaying in a font named Z@R701E.tmp or, less commonly, Z@R6FAB.tmp.  If I close and reopen the file a number of times, the problem will sometimes self-correct and show the normal fonts (I only use Arial, Calibri, and Times New Roman), but sometimes I have to go through every layout and reset the fonts.  This only happens to my FMP 15 files - no other programs have been affected. 
       I have attached a screen shot for clarification.  Any ideas?
      Thanks,
      Guy
      Weird font example.pdf
    • By Answers
      I am currently updating a runtime solution that we have been using for 14 years, it is designed for crossplatform use. I am using Filemaker 13 advanced and doing my work on a Mac (Mavericks). When opening it in a windows enviroment the buttons/fonts look differently and aren't lined up correctly. I used fonts that are available on both platforms. I'm not sure what the solution is, I'm including screen shots as an example.

Any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated. We are almost ready to roll out our solution.

Thank you!

Caroline

Exception PC screen shot.pdf
    • By ESpringer
      Dear lovely experts,

Sigh. Several years ago I volunteered to help an artist friend by setting up a graphically complex database which made central use of a specific dingbat font (for musical symbols). Long story*** but...

Now, on a much newer computer without the font, faced with a request to re-generate the printout, I don't even see how I can find out what the font name WAS, since FM only shows me the substituted-in font when I [convert and] open the file. (And, to be clear, there's no way of even approximating the desired output with a different font.)

Somewhere in the file itself must be the name or other ID string for the font actually specified by my layout, yes?... Any tips?

[***Kicking self for not punting out a pdf file way back when and creating an archive folder with all related files including fonts...***]

Many many thanks in advance...

-Elise
  • Who Viewed the Topic

5 members have viewed this topic:
    SupportGuys89  RadioSaigon  liltbrockie  Lee Smith  Mstenquist 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.