Little Mighty

Exporting from several fields to one filed in Excel

Hi Guys

I can't figure out a solution for this. The final result is an export, No data have to be stored in filemaker afterwards.

I need to combine and export data from 3 tables to the SAME field in Excel. Lets say we have table A: A1, A2 and A3, table B: B1, B2 and B3 and table C: C1, C2 and C3. These are tied together by a unique number in the solution. I need these fields to output i the export as all 1's in one column beneath each other, all 2's in one column beneath each other and all 3's in one column beneath each other. 

I am thinking, that I need a new table to combine these fields in 3 new fields D1, D2 and D3 and then do the export of this table. After export, the table could be deleted until next export. I am thinking this should be set up as a script. 

Does the above make sense, and could it be done via a script?

Thanks for the help - really appreciate it!

Edited by Little Mighty

Wim Decorte    455

Via a script: absolutely.

What you are describing is often referred to as a 'scratch' table.  A table whose data you will export but that is only there to transform the actual data into whatever form you need for exporting.  When you are done with the export you can delete the data from the scratch table.

There are other ways too, ranging from exporting from each table individually and using OS-level scripting to concatenate the 3 exports into one excel file.

Or exporting to FM XML and using an XSLT style-sheet to transform that XML into an XLSX format.

• Like 1

comment    1,381
3 hours ago, Little Mighty said:

These are tied together by a unique number in the solution.

It's not quite clear how exactly they are tied: is it a one-to-one relationship? Why do you need the three tables to begin with?

Anyway, it sounds like the simplest solution would be to define a calculation field in one of the three tables, concatenating the data from the local field with the data from the fields in the two related tables. Then just export that calculation field. There is no need to move the data to (yet!) another table, or to perform any complicated manipulations. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Who Viewed the Topic

11 members have viewed this topic:
    kurucay2000  MikeKD  PatDes  melmitts707  jjfk27  comment  jayson100077  Lee Smith  doughemi  RMorehu  BruceR 
  • Similar Content

• By fmdataweb
      I'm doing an export of a table with 5 fields to an Excel file with an XSL stylesheet to control the formatting of the Excel data. So far it's working well - I just need to add some additional formatting for a few of the cells. I'm looking for help with examples/syntax for setting the following attributes:
      - making a cell bold
      - changing the font size of a cell
      - making all columns set to auto resize so they fit the contents of each column (same as double clicking the divider between 2 columns)
      All fields I'm exporting are text fields.
      Thanks,
      Steve
    • By hutchlad
      Hey Guys,
      Just a quick one, I have a large report that groups products together via Style, and has totals at the bottom in the green section (I realise they arent totalling but thats not my issue)
      My issue is, that when I export as a spreadsheet, my products stay grouped by Style, but I cannot for the life of me get the totals to stay underneath the columns of each group! Any help or advice would be appreciated, I just want it so that its in the format below with the group of products, then the totals beneath.

• By Jeff M
      Hello,
      I've done quite a bit with FileMaker in the past, but have never jumped into the XML arena. Now I have a need to do so, and I'm really needing some help with something I'm sure is quite basic...but still foreign to me. I have an external data source which export XML in a very specific format (see attached). I need to import that into FileMaker so I can manipulate the data, do some various lookups, etc. Once I've made my changes in the data, I need to export in the exact format it was when imported so the external data source can properly import.
      Not sure if it makes sense to import into 2 tables (workflows, workflow steps) or just a single table. I'm open either way. Once the data is in FileMaker I can get all my calculations and lookups and scripts going and make the data what I need it to be, but then I'll need to export it.
      Can someone point me in the right direction?
      Thanks so much in advance!
      Jeff
      workflows_export.xml
    • By pomilpetan
      Good morning everyone I created a database runtime solution with FileMaker Pro 15 advanced. The program must export the contents of a form in PDF format. In a solution that runs under FileMaker I could use the command "Save as PDF" but this command does not work in a runtime solution. Could someone tell me how I could make this function? thank you so much.
    • By Bartek
      Hi there,
      I am making cutom import and export from/to excel documents.
      Is there any way to merge excel cells in scribe?
      I can easly find out which fields are merged when importing.
      two nested loops and if second col or row is empty while reading i consider it merged.
      Problem is while exporting.
      I need to add new rows to excel documents and keep 1 column merged for each set of rows(like in sub summary but vertical).
      Thanks in advance for any help.
      Have a nice day.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.