Exporting from several fields to one filed in Excel

This topic is 2447 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi Guys

I can't figure out a solution for this. The final result is an export, No data have to be stored in filemaker afterwards.

I need to combine and export data from 3 tables to the SAME field in Excel. Lets say we have table A: A1, A2 and A3, table B: B1, B2 and B3 and table C: C1, C2 and C3. These are tied together by a unique number in the solution. I need these fields to output i the export as all 1's in one column beneath each other, all 2's in one column beneath each other and all 3's in one column beneath each other. 

I am thinking, that I need a new table to combine these fields in 3 new fields D1, D2 and D3 and then do the export of this table. After export, the table could be deleted until next export. I am thinking this should be set up as a script. 

Does the above make sense, and could it be done via a script?

Thanks for the help - really appreciate it!

Edited by Little Mighty

Via a script: absolutely.

What you are describing is often referred to as a 'scratch' table.  A table whose data you will export but that is only there to transform the actual data into whatever form you need for exporting.  When you are done with the export you can delete the data from the scratch table.

There are other ways too, ranging from exporting from each table individually and using OS-level scripting to concatenate the 3 exports into one excel file.

Or exporting to FM XML and using an XSLT style-sheet to transform that XML into an XLSX format.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Little Mighty said:

These are tied together by a unique number in the solution.

It's not quite clear how exactly they are tied: is it a one-to-one relationship? Why do you need the three tables to begin with?

Anyway, it sounds like the simplest solution would be to define a calculation field in one of the three tables, concatenating the data from the local field with the data from the fields in the two related tables. Then just export that calculation field. There is no need to move the data to (yet!) another table, or to perform any complicated manipulations. 

This topic is 2447 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.