Server Maintenance This Week. ×

How to best determine login type?

wedgeman

This topic is 2317 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Not sure if this is the best neighborhood for the question, but it is tied to network/db security.

What method is used to best determine how a user is logged in? Is Get(MultiUserState) the best method for determination of who/how someone is accessing a locally shared (peer-shared) database?

For licensing purposes, we run several authorization scripts during login, and it is helpful to know how the access is working.

Get(HostName) might be useful. What is the actual issue you're trying to solve?

Also:

Get ( ConnectionAttributes )

Get ( ConnectionState )

Get ( FilePath )

Get ( HostApplicationVersion )

Get ( UserCount )

I know in Server (server admin app) there was an easy way to look at users by types (I am currently only running FMPS's in versions 9~12, and 14, so am a bit ignorant of options on newer servers). 

Is there any function set to replicate this for users on a peer network?

We have a licensed product, and need to restrict access by user count (ie., no more than 1 count of shared FMP app, or 1 share and 1 FM Go app, etc), based on license level, etc.

Currently, we use Get ( MultiUserState )  to determine whether it's being peer-shared or on host system, and we use forked script paths to deal with devices based on that. but it doesn't fix the issue.

UserCount is nice, but gives only a total number of users, not any level of division by user type. 
I'd really like to get a set of results such as:

Total users :   11

FM Go users: 2

FMP users: 9

I didn't see any additional method for acquiring a total number of connections divided by type... I suppose a script could be managed whereby every device connected added its own 'id' by Get( Device) integer into a couple of fields, and then a calculation could be tallied from those various fields.   

Is there any better/more clean method for accomplishing that? I didn't want to go that route, as random disconnects (or network issues) could well result in count errors.
A "Get(UserDetails)" function would be kinda handy, to push back a total summary of current users delimited by types..

Edited by wedgeman
clarification

This topic is 2317 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.