Hey,

I have a Tab-Separated Text File which I want to import to a database that I just created in FileMaker Pro 15. The text file essentially is a log of events, for instance, one line describes an order, another line describes a payment that has been made. The problem is that I somehow need to import all these lines into different tables. I want all lines in the log file that describe a payment in a table called Payments, and all lines that describe an order in a table called Orders for example.

I'm just starting out with FileMaker so forgive me if there is an obvious solution that I'm not aware of. I have a background in software development, so the only solution that I can think of is writing a small program myself that does all the parsing for me and creates separate text files that contain all the orders and payments and other events that have been logged in the file. Then I could simply import each file into the table I need all the data in. 

So to sum everything up, my main question is if there is a way to somehow parse the text file before importing it. I know that you can create custom scripts in FileMaker but I'm not sure if what I need to do can be done just with that.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

3 hours ago, 123 said:

one line describes an order, another line describes a payment

You left out the part explaining how to tell these two apart.

Hey,

each line has a certain keyword. For example Payment or Order. Those keywords are in the same position in every line.

Thanks for your response,

Mike

Basically, you have two options:

1. Import the file twice, once into the Payments table and once into Orders. In each table, define a Type field and set it to validate by calculation:

Self = "Payment" 

and:

Self = "Order"

respectively, validate always. When importing, map the keyword to the Type field.

2. Import into a temp table first, then do a find for each type and import the found set into the corresponding target table.

Both options can be scripted so that the user only needs to select the file.

Edited by comment
  • Like 1

Hey,

thanks for the quick response. The first way you described sounds like a good solution, I will give it a try tomorrow, thank you so much.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Jhon Doe
      Hi everyone,
      I'm a beginner in FM, and i'm trying to develop a solution that allows me to import data from a csv file. I have two related tables Customer ("parent") and Alerts ("child"), each one has a primary key and the Alerts table has a foreign key to conect with the Customer table. I have to populated the alerts table from a cvs file that could have lots of records so I want to relate this new data to the right customers automatically when i import it, the new data does not have a field with the customer ID (primay key) only has its name. Could you please give me any advice with that?
    • By jayivan
      I am working on an API integration from FileMaker 17 to Emma. Generally when I work on a new API, I get the curl working on the command line and then translate that into FM. But I've hit a roadblock with one particular API call while my other API calls to Emma are successful. (In the example below, I substituted out sensitive data with all caps.)
      From the command line, the code is:
      curl -u USER:PASS -H "Accept:application/json" -H "Content-type: application/json" -X POST -d '{"fields": {"name_first": "TESTFIRST","name_last": "TESTLAST","eligible": "false","expiration": "@D:2019-06-30"},"group_ids": ["GROUPIDNUMBER"],"email": "EMAIL@EMAIL.COM","opt_in_confirmation": "false"}' "https://api.e2ma.net/ACCOUNTNUMBER/members/signup"
      This command is successful.  The server responds with the individuals' emma id and group confirmation. 
      This fails using Insert from URL within FM though. While eventually I'll use FileMaker fields for an individual record's names, email, and expiration dates, I did not use fields in my testing in order to duplicate the command line exactly. In Insert from URL:
      The URL is "https://api.e2ma.net/ACCOUNTNUMBER/members/signup"
      The curl option is "-u USER:PASS -H \"Accept:application/json\" -H \"Content-type: application/json\" -X POST -d '{\"fields\": {\"name_first\": \"TESTFIRST\",\"name_last\": \"TESTLAST\",\"eligible\": \"false\",\"expiration\": \"@D:2101-06-30\"},\"group_ids\": [\"GROUPIDNUMBER\"],\"email\": \"EMAIL@EMAIL.COM\",\"opt_in_confirmation\": \"false\"}'"

Can anyone identify the problem or suggest a workaround? My experience with API integration with FM is limited, but anything I could get working via the command line, I've been able to get working within FM until this.
    • By kims
      I am working on a script that will build a document based on a value from a drop down list.
      I have a layout that contains a Document Subtype. If a certain subtype is selected from the drop down list for this record, then I want my script to be able to pull from a specific container holding the appropriate document for that type. Then I can use Doc Append to combine the two documents. Each document would be custom then to the subtype.
      I'm pretty new at FileMaker so I'm still trying to figure a lot of things out and still trying to understand how to put things together and why it will/will not work.
      I was originally using Case but then I realized that was probably not the correct thing to do. It would either append both types of documents or one, but it wasn't always the correct one.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

If this helps, I want something that will do this:

If Subtype = a, b, or c, then append Doc 1
      If subtype = d, e, or f, then append Doc 2
      and so on...
    • By ferpenas
      Hi everyone, I succesfully make the sync through easy sync. But with the next step I didnt found any info about the initial set up. How I set up in my solution the EasyDeploy method?
      Thank you in advance
    • By Asu
      Hello FM experts, 
      this is a concept step for a more complex script but I need a script that has 2 independent features:
      1: it selects the field it is attached to as a button
      2: it can be attached to any arbitrary field and it does the same on that field.  
      The imaginary script step would be this:
      Select field [the one I am attached to] The problem I am running into is that "go to field" can not be defined by calculation, while "go to object" gets confusing between the script and the field being grouped, as the problem detailed here [https://www.soliantconsulting.com/blog/story-about-go-to-object] seems to be a complicating factor.

Thanks
      Asu

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.