Memory Tables

This topic is 2140 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi, I would like to know if it´s possible to create memory tables within Filemaker and how.

I saw in a different RAD tool the option to create memory tables. The table is kept meanwhile the program is open and dismissed after is closed. I see this as a powerful tool for complex reports and to speed processes. Maybe there is an ODBC or JDBC driver for memory tables, Server side or client side.

Edited by [email protected]

The closest thing to Memory Tables in FM is probably Virtual List. It's not exactly the same, and not as easy to update data, but it is possible, and fantastic for reports.

Thanks Josh, it´s an alternative.

Not the same, because it´s client side not centralized for the whole database and more complicated and require more effort.

Perhaps there is a connection method (ODBC - JDBC) to an external memory database, already tested.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_in-memory_databases

FileMaker just doesn't work that way. Essentially there is a file cache on the client, and one on the server. FM communicates changes from the server to the client using that client cache. When you make changes or view records, FM make pulls the data to the local cache. If another user edits that record, FMS broadcasts the change to the local cache for you.

ODBC/JDBC connections are not going work that way either, at least not the way it's implemented in FileMaker.

What is your goal? What are you trying to "centralize" that you think memory tables will give you what you need? I know what they are, but having trouble seeing what your end goal is. Maybe you can clarify it for me.

I don´t have any specific task right now.

I have a program where every time I open, loads appointments of the week in the first layout it opens, the menu layout. Right now is fast but as the database grows the speed will decrease since it has to pull the data from the disk.

I made a report, to load it have to go thru many relationships and  create a temp table. Would be much faster, if that temp file is in memory and it´s created during the off time.

I think this is a feature that filemaker inc could implement in future releases to enhance the database. Instead of having to connect filemaker to an external DBMS.

This topic is 2140 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.