FM 7 Web Publishing Won't Start

This topic is 7237 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Using the OS X FM 7demo, all attempts to activate Instant Web Publishing give an error message "Instant Web Publishing Could Not Be Started." Preferences/Plugins also does not show the Webfm.plugin, though this is in the Extensions file.

Any ideas how to get this working?

Version: v7.x

Platform: Mac OS X Panther

I have the trial FMP7 run OSX 10.3.3 on a G5 and it won't start for me either. I have all the IWP features selected too. So don't feel bad. I don't know what to do either. Maybe it doesn't function in the trial version.

Thanks for the info. The User Guide (p. 79) and Help say to consult a document called the FileMaker Instant Web Publishing Guide," which is not where they say it should be and I haven't found anywhere else either.

I made sure Extended Privileges have the fmiwp box checked and that the user has full access, but it makes no difference, still won't start.

Re Port 80, when starting up web publishing in OS X you are always asked for your admin password, but the end result is the "can't start" message.

I finally got IWP working by assigning a port number higher than 1024. This can be done by editing web.prefs in Extensions/Web Support or by starting up Personal Web Sharing first, which will lead FMP to ask for a replacement port when you try to start IWP.

None of this is working for me. I checked all boxes for extended privileges for the file, started up Personal Web Sharing first and was prompted for another Port, which I duly changed to 49153. I have no firewalls enabled. I was still given the lame, tell us nothing, dialog saying it can't be started because it can't be started.

I would seriously like some help here. But...

I must say as far as I'm concerned, this is simply the last straw. This is obviously one of the most important features of the new version, and should work out of the box like a charm. As an FMP developer (and former beta tester) for the last ten years, I would say their unique combination of arrogance and complete non-responsiveness to developers

• 2 weeks later...

Problem: Instant Web Publishing Guide not in Demo version

Call FileMaker Pre-Sales (# is on website)

Tell them about it and they will Email.

This is what I did.

Ken

FileMaker Version: 7

Platform: Windows XP

• 2 weeks later...

I have tried IWP over different incarnations of Filemaker, at different times and on different computers. The web companion has never "started". Each time I have only been experimenting so each time I abandon the chase.

This time, with a fresh installation of Filemaker 7, teh Web Companion's failure to start has me perplexed!

I have read these posts and followed the instructions. Does IWP really work?

Is there an IWP guru in the house?

Steve

• 4 weeks later...

Aarrgh. I'm not a network administrator and I don't want to be one.

I have working, tested, ready applications under FM 7 Pro, but the NA can't get seem to FM Pro 7 up and running under Windows Server 2000 IIS. I printed out the IWP Guide for him and made the others available, and after an hour he said, "Are you SURE the installation is in here?"

He's right... the only references I found happen to be a warning about using port 80 and 20-some pages later 2 lines of how to install FM Advanced Server.

1. Does some manual have concise (or even big and ugly) instructions for getting FM 7 Pro up and running as an IWP server under IIS? What are we missing?

2. If (1) exists somewhere, presumably it also tells where the FM 7 Pro database files go?

3. Is the installer smart enough to recognize it's in a server install situation?

shocked.gif Sheesh, RLinsurf, one of the other threads had a FM manuals lovefest and just about disemboweled me for ranting that the manuals were less than perfect. Good thing they didn't see your comment! (gasp!)

Leader -

Do you have a specific reason for running FM Pro 7 with IIS? Otherwise you can simply use FM 7 to serve the files via the web. But of course you are limited to 5 web connections. If you need more than a handful of connections or need to use FM with IIS you are going to have to wait for FileMaker Server 7 Advanced.

Will

If you use MacOS X maybe that you have active Sharing Web in the panel Sharing of System Preferences, this always run under port 80 (and 427).

Before you active IWP you must deactivate Sharing Web of System Preferences and then change the port number of IWP to for example 8080.

Finally you can activate again Sharing Web of System Preferences.

If this not work, PREVIOUSLY, delete the file "web.prefs" that it is in: Extensions folder/Web Support folder and repeat the operation.

In any case some thing does not work fine,... we will wait for some update?

Wallll, Will (trying on Southern accent) I was under the impression I had to use IIS from one of the manuals, IWP Guide, I think. It's bloody confusing having to guess how to get the thing up and running. I'd gladly pay an extra $5 for a 3 page manual 'how to install the 5 user FM Pro 7 for the web in less than 40 hours.' Maybe we can get Allen Rocha to write one for us.

But wait... it gets worse. I finally got it up and running, but now I've got a massive client failure: The generated DHTML is gorgeous on the screen, but so loaded with bugs it won't accept data!

I have had the same problem......then....I realized that IWP ALWAYS worked when I was in range of my wireless network (in other words, access to the net) but NEVER worked when I was not in range of a wi-fi access point....so I am guessing that your issue may be the same....I am sure there is a work around but this "solution" at least allowed me to access IWP.

Greg

• 2 weeks later...

For the record, I am having the same problem. I downloaded a fresh copy of FM7.0v2 from the web. Installed on my iBook 10.3.4 and IWP will not start. No filesharing or websharing is on. So frustrating. I've tried this before on another computer too. A more informative message would be helpful.

• 2 weeks later...

comcomcom, be sure to go the EDIT > SHARING and activate both web and file sharing.

It is frustrating though... Even after 7.0.2 (v.2 patch), IWP still paints a beautiful screen that is completely dead to the world because of a JavaScript bug.

• Newbies

I have filemeker pro 7 on Mac os X 10.3 and i tried to bring web publishing to start without success.

I already tried the following:

1. Stop all other web services and the personal firewall

2. Set the port to another number (from 88 to 40000)

3. Reboot the whole machine 20 times

4. Asked the captain.

If somebody knows how to bring that to work, i will be very happy for the help

ThanX in advance

Eva

This topic is 7237 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.