Show All Related Records from Multiple Request Fin

This topic is 7217 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am undertaking a Multiple Request Find.

I want to display all matching records in a related file. I have a script that will show related records, but it will only display the records that match the criteria relevant to the record I have selected.

I want to display all related records that match each request in the Found Set for reporting purposes.

Can you help please?

Define a new global field in your parent db, called say G_Multline.

Define a new relationship from your parent db to child db matching the new G_MultiLine field to the previous relationship field in the child Db.

Define a script :-

Set Field G_Multiline = ""

GotoRecord First

Loop

Set Field G_MultiLine = G_Multline &"

A quicker way to fill the multiline global would be to make a list view layout that has nothing but the relationship field on it, no label, header, footer, etc. Put the target G_Multiline field on a layout by itself. Then your script could read:

Go to Layout (RelField Layout)

Copy All Records

Go to Layout (G_Multiline layout)

Paste {check select contents & specify G_Multiline field)

This ends up with the same result as your looping script, but without the need to loop. If there are a great many records in the found set, then looping might take time while copy'n'paste won't. If there *are* a great many records in the found set, keep in mind the 64,000 character limit per field.

Steve Brown

Just a little note. I don't believe the layout need be a list; form view will work just as well. Also, the multiline global doesn't require its own layout. You can make it transparent, disallow entry, shrink it as much as you like, and put it on any layout you want.

You're quite right, Queue. I recommended two layouts, one list for the data and one standard for the global displayed full-screen, to allow the poster to see what is happening, and to more easily debug if necessary. For myself, trying out a new technique requires me to be able to see as much as I can see! Once he gets it down, he can shrink the global, hide it somewhere, delete its layout, and tidy up in general.

Steve Brown

Following my initial euphoria, I am now having difficulty with the first suggestion for solving my problem. May be I should explain more?

I have db A: Projects. This has a Unique Project Number.

I have db B: Project Members. This is related to Projects via the Unique Project Number.

This relationship enables me to display Project Members per Project in a Portal using the Project Members Relationship.

When I search the Projects, I may need Multiple Requests i.e. Projects 1, 22, 45.

I need to Report on the Administration Area for each Member. This information is contained in the Project Members db.

So, I need to ask the questions in the Projects db, but the answers exist in the Project Members db. Using the Go To Related Records script step will only show the Members matching the currently selected Project. I need it to show the records matching each of the requests i.e. 1, 22, 45.

Whilst I can use the Loop script to display the Members of the current Project, I cannot get the Global field to accept varying values. Thus, it will not display all the Members for each of the requested Projects.

Am I missing something. Once again ANY help would be much appreciated.

• 1 month later...

Dear Andy,

Not sure I'm completely clear on what you need, but here's a suggestion:

If it is possible for multiple people to be on the same project, and multiple projects to have the same people, then you may need to define a many-to-many relationship between Projects and Members by creating a join file to link them.

If each project has unique members, then you should be able to store the project number each person is working on in the Members DB. You can then do a multi-criteria find for the various project numbers in the Members DB, and create a report by making a subsummary layout based on Administration Area, and listing the members and their project in whatever sort order you prefer.

cheers,

Kirsten Masse

This topic is 7217 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.