Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Automatically Setting Resolution

This topic is 7144 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am trying to find a way to automatically detect and reset, if necessary, an end user's resolution size for a runtime I have created. I need to know if this is possible without making numerous layouts. Possible Scripts to use, etc? And also, can you call external executables or batch programs in order to accomplish this?

Thanks,

Anji

In FM6, you can detect the resolution with Status ( CurrentScreenHeight ) and Status ( CurrentScreenWidth ) -- i imagine in FM7 these ara Get ( CurrentScreenHeight ) and Get ( CurrentScreenWidth ).

As far as changing the resolution, i know of no good way to do this automatically (although i'd be psyched if someone does--Wim?). There are some ways, one of which i found at Rob van der Woude's page. I think it involved changing the registry (the method i used isn't really listed on the referenced page, but i somehow deduced it from there). Also look at this page.

The issue i remember running into and not being able to resolve was that when i changed the resolution with a batch file or something similar, the resolution would change but the Windows taskbar would not change along with it. Thus i had a taskbar in the middle of the screen, exactly where it should be if my screen were only 600 pixels high, despite the fact that my screen was now 780 pixels high. There were approx. 180 pixels between the bottom of the taskbar and the bottom of the screen.

HTH,

Jerry

Hmmm that is interesting. I have made two global fields that use the CurrentStatus blah blah blah, and when those fields are on a layout and I perform the script it does show me what my resolution is set at, but it would be really nice if it would change the users resolution upon inserting a CD into their computer, and change it back when they exit the CD program. By the way I am using FM 5 right now. I have 7 as well, but we are in the process of converting, so not fully using that. I will look at the pages you sent...

Thanks,

Anji

I am using FM 5 right now.

In that case, you should probably change your profile to reflect that.

Please let me know if you are able to come up with anything better, namely, something that changes the location of the taskbar. I'm interested in doing something similar if possible.

Also-- you made up your avatar ("Keyboard not found, press any key"), right? Please tell me you made that up.

J

You can use VBscript on Windows to change the resolution. Not sure about AppleScript but I'd be surprised if it didn't work too...

A google on "vbscript change resolution" should bring a bunch of hits.

You can store the VBscript syntax inside FM and have it executed or you can distribute the necessary VBscript files with your solution.

In FM7, it's easy since you can store any file in a container field. You could have a script that exports the script file out to C:TMP or something like that and then run it.

In v5, maybe you could store the script contents in a text field and use a file plugin to write it out to a text file before running it.

I can use the container fields in FM 5 too, but am unsure of what all can be stored in those. I am trying to do this in FM 5. I have looked into a plug-in called MVAnything, I think that's what it's called. But not sure if it's worthwhile when pretty soon I will be using FM 7 only. I appreciate your help, maybe I will try to do this in 7 and see if I can get it to work. That would be MUCH better than having three different versions of all of my layout pages for each resolution I need it to be viewable in.

Thanks Again.

You could just set a lowest common denominator, and design everything for 800x600. I personally hate apps that change my resolution setting for me (except full screen games). For a productivity app, people like to switch back and forth between apps etc....

Of course if you design for v7, you probably won't even have to worry about many people with less than 1024x768 since you have pretty strict OS requirements and people will likely have a reasonably current computer.

Either MVAnything or abstrakt's shell plugin will let you run windows or unix shell scripts, but the main advantage they offer over just using scriptmaker to launch them is that the output of the script can be returned directly into a field rather than having to import from a text file.

Container fields in FM5 are much more limited in the types of data they can store. I don't think you can store a script or executable file in a pre v.7 container field.

You are extremely helpful. I will look into those two plug-ins mentioned some more. See we produce college and university alumni directories. We make books and CD's. I make all the CD's using Filemaker Pro and Filemaker Developer to bind and make the runtime solution to burn on a CD. They have autorun on them, and when the alum puts the disc in their drive, it comes up and takes up the entire screen, you can't even see the taskbar. We are supposed to make them viewable in the three sizes because there are a lot of older people using computers more and more that use the 800 x 600...but I design them in 1024 x 768, and that's how they look best. I also find it irritating for a program or game to automatically change my screen size for me...but I think it's the best thing to do right now. However, it would also be good if I could just see if we can only make it look perfect for one resolution, and then text on the spash screen saying best viewed...blah, blah, blah.

Anyway, I am rambling, but thanks again for your help!!

Anji

This topic is 7144 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.