Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Client fails to launch

This topic is 6722 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

So, this is a seemingly simple problem w/a seemingly simple solution, but...

After having not used FMP 7 on my PC for about a week (running XP service pack 2), I tried to open the application yesterday afternoon to create a new database. FMP 7 begins to initialize, but after about 5 seconds the splash screen goes away and it fails to launch and dies on me. The application never actually opens. By the way, I'm running FMP 7 v1a.

I don't get an error message to led me to a certain spot, so I've tried to alleviate the problem by rebooting, de-installing the software, rebooting, re-installing the software, running multiple virus scans, running rootkitrevealer, and comparing the services running with other PC's. All of the attempts produce the same result: FMP 7 still fails to launch. However, none of my other software applications seem to have any problems. It must be OS related, but I have no idea where to look now. Registry??

Any thoughts or help would be much appreciated. I noticed someone else in the forum had this problem w/FMP 6 on a MAC. Did you get any help?

-kwong

Edited by Guest

The first thing you should do is get the FM7v3 update. That might fix your problem right there.

I've seen FileMaker "not load" as you describe because it is already running. It appears to be closed because the FM application window is gone but if you go to the Windows Task Manager (Processes tab) you will see FileMaker still running. The cause for FileMaker failing to fully close in my case was on older version of the SMTPit plugin. I simply contacted CNS and they sent the latest version and the problem went away.

Good call, Ted! This has caught me also!! And FM can be running but there be no window - check Menu > Window and see if there is a file open but it's window not displaying.

Using XP and vs. 7.0v1, a few other possibilities: it will occasionally NOT produce its warning message "same licensed copy being used elsewhere" and simply close again. I've had this happen 2 or 3 times (I wasn't trying to cheat, just got computers mixed up). BTW, are you networked? Because that's also how an opener might respond if it can't find the host.

Also, laugh if you will, but (as last resort) reinstalling my printer drivers solved this very problem on one client machine which continually refused to load (even after un- and re-intalling FM). :wink2:

• Newbies

I have been having similar behavior for a number of our users. clicking an application or filemaker pro.exe shortcut will produce an hourglass for a second or two and then nothing else will happen.

I seemed to have tracked it down to:

After closing all "visible" applications (files) in filemaker, If there is a hidden file open in filemaker when exiting filemaker it will leave a filemaker pro.exe process running but not accessible.

After changing my "exit" button in my application from "close file" to "exit application" this issue "seems" to have gone away.

I understand not wanting to exit all of filemaker when wishing to close a single file, I am posting this as a further indication of this issue.

This topic is 6722 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.