scanning for unused blocks

This topic is 6310 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a particular file very large in size 10gb. I was imbedding files into the database and recently changed it to have a short cut to the file.

Two problems with the file, when I close the file it tries to compress it and isn't successful, it takes a long time, but there is no error. When I then reopen it says it is scanning for unused blocks. This takes about 20 minutes each time.

Recently I opened up another file and it is doing the same thing, scanning for unused blocks.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

The scanning for unused blocks is normal when you remove a large amount of data (records) from a file.

How do you know that the file is not being compacted? No errors would be a nice thing to have.

Lee

Try saving a Compact Copy ( a save as option) and see what happens to the size.

p.s.

I forgot to answer your question about happening every time the file is open. No. Only when the file is being closed, and that is only after I have deleted the data. BTW, the file size is not reduced by this activity, that is why it stays the same size. However, saving a compact copy should do it.

Edited by Guest

I tried to save a compact copy and the whole system froze. I left it overnight, and it was still frozen. I forgot to mention another oddity, if I try to go to record # 56, the system freezes. I tried to delete it and the system froze. Is it possible that one record is corrupt?

This topic is 6310 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.