Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Disappearing data from fields

This topic is 6108 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I am using FM 8 server and when one of the users opens his file, he does a search on the year (2007) and whether the student was given scholarship money. When he gets the results of the search, there are the correct number or records for the search, but when he looks at the data in the records he is finding records which have no data in any of the fields. The only data seen is that which is part of a calculation from the server and not part of data for the user he is looking for.

The strangest thing about this problem is that when a find is initiated, the records are found, but there is no data in the fields. I have never seen this before and don't know where to start looking for the problem.

Thanks

Patti

Check to make sure the fields were not a repeating field at one point then changed to only show one repetition. If they were changed from say a field with three repetitions to a field with 1 repetition. The data is still in the other 2 repetitions which would make the records show in a find.

HTH

P.S. Yes this happened to me and I was baffled for awhile due to it. lol

Font color issue possibly??

Edited by Guest

• Newbies

thanks for the suggestion. I thought of that but the real problem is that all of the fields for these records are blank, and yet when I do a search by year and scholarship money offered, these blank records appear in the found group even though there is no data in any of the fields.

It's a really weird problem.

It honestly sounds like corruption from what you just described. It might only be at the indexing level though. The fields that you do search on that do show in the find but are empty. Try going to define fields and turn indexing off for those fields. Close the define fields box, then reopen it and turn indexing back on see if that helps at all.

Sometimes reindexing the fields will solve odd things like this.

HTH

• 4 months later...

I am seeing the exact same issue on a client's file which contains over 20000 records.

All of the records appear to be in the file, but all fields are blank.

Performing a find operation does seem to produce a found set with the expected number of records, but again, all resulting records in the found set have all blank fields.

Anyone have any further information on this, or recovery suggestions?

Thanks,

rrr

This topic is 6108 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.