Claris Engage 2025 - March 25-26 Austin Texas ×

um. . . finds in a portal

This topic is 8691 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

quote:

Originally posted by yafreax:

okay, maybe i'm not thinking hard enough, or maybe i'm just out of luck. (probably the former), any way, what i need as follows:

i have two databases, the master file is Jobs and the related file is Actions. In side each Jobs record is a portal in which users can create new records in the actions file. It relates using a calculated Job Number in the Jobs file. Within the Actions file and within the portal is a field that is a check box that is clicked when the action is completed (this displays a "Yes" in the related record).

What we would like to do is have a list view that would list the jobs from the Jobs file, and list the incompleted actions for the respective Job. All in list view. The reason for this is so that we can easily view what still needs to be completed per job.

Well, one option is using a sub-summarized report out of the Actions DB. Sort and group by Job. You can then either view on screen or simply print it out.

------------------

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Kurt Knippel

Consultant

Database Resources

mailto:[email protected]

http://www.database-resources.com

It sounds like what you want to do is to filter the portal. In other words, you want to view all of the actions that are both related to a job and unfinished.

There's the plain vanilla way and the plug-in way. Waves In Motion recently released a plug-in that I believe adds the ability to filter a portal.

The plain vanilla way is to create a second relationship from jobs to actions based on a key field that is calculated.

Right now you have a relationship from jobs to actions based on the job ID. Create a new field in jobs that is a calculated text field called Open_Action_ID set to

"O" & Job_ID

That's the letter O for Open.

Create a calculated text field in Actions called Action_State_ID that is set to:

Case(

You could certainly build a second relationship between Jobs and Actions, but a REALLY simple thing you can do is sort the relationship by Job Number (between Jobs and Actions) by the Marked field. Blanks (uncompleted actions) will sort to the top of the portal. If you want to get really tricky, define global container fields in Actions gRed and gGreen, fill them with red and green colors. Create a calculated container field:

ActionBackground (calculation, container) =

Case(Complete, gGreen, gRed)

Put this background behind the fields in the portal row. The open items will be first in the portal with a red background. The completed items will be last in the portal with a green background.

-bd

okay, maybe i'm not thinking hard enough, or maybe i'm just out of luck. (probably the former), any way, what i need as follows:

i have two databases, the master file is Jobs and the related file is Actions. In side each Jobs record is a portal in which users can create new records in the actions file. It relates using a calculated Job Number in the Jobs file. Within the Actions file and within the portal is a field that is a check box that is clicked when the action is completed (this displays a "Yes" in the related record).

What we would like to do is have a list view that would list the jobs from the Jobs file, and list the incompleted actions for the respective Job. All in list view. The reason for this is so that we can easily view what still needs to be completed per job.

Please help, and i'll buy you a Dr. Pepper (since i don't drink)

Jeremy

okay, first off, you guys are great, thanks man.

Second, i wanted to get tricky and do the Background Color thing. I did exactly what you said, and it's not working. The calculated field says this. . .

case(ActionComplete="Yes", gGreen, gRed)

with the gGreen filled with green and the gRed filled with red, but nothing happens to the calculated field at all, whether the action is complete or not, it's just white. . .

do you mean to actually fill the fields green and red, like in layout mode, b/c that's what i did. Please advise.

quote:

Originally posted by yafreax:

okay, first off, you guys are great, thanks man.

Second, i wanted to get tricky and do the Background Color thing. I did exactly what you said, and it's not working. The calculated field says this. . .

case(ActionComplete="Yes", gGreen, gRed)

with the gGreen filled with green and the gRed filled with red, but nothing happens to the calculated field at all, whether the action is complete or not, it's just white

Set your calculations to "unstored". This is most likely the problem.

------------------

Kurt Knippel

Consultant

Database Resources

mailto:[email protected]

http://www.database-resources.com

This topic is 8691 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.