Server Maintenance This Week. ×

FMP 6 Crashes on Leopard 10.5

This topic is 5633 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Have been running FMP 6 through all the permutations of OSX, and we continue to do so on all our Macs in the office.

But I had occasion to turn my iMac off and when I turned it back on FMP 6 would not run. Everything else does.

FMP 6's screen appears, then goes away, and in a moment or two the notice of a crash appears.

Have trashed preferences, verified disk, and repaired permissions to no avail.

It continues to work on our other machines. In fact we put mine on a flash drive, plugged it in to a macbook and another iMac and the program worked well.

Apple says it's FMP. FileMaker says they don't support 7 or before and that 6 isn't certified for Leopard, but "there are some great people at fmforums.com who can probably help."

So, after passing along the buttering up, here I am.

Thanks,

Tom

Welcome to the Forums, Tom. Do all these other machines have the same version of 10.5? Same FileMaker plugins? Those are just a couple of possibilities to check. But as Lee pointed out, you're fighting a losing battle: if you must stick with FM6, you should downgrade to 10.4.

• Newbies

Thanks, Lee.

We've been running it smoothly for a long time and it fills all our needs. It still works on other machines - and worked perfectly on mine until the power down/up.

The crash report says exc_bad_access (sigsegv) kern_invalid_address

Unfortunately, that's Klingon to me.

Thanks, Tom

One possibility is that you installed an OS X Software Update that didn't take effect until a restart. That's why I suggested you check the OS X versions (10.5.2, 10.5.5, etc.) that might be on the other machines vs. yours. You could try downgrading to an earlier 10.5 and if it succeeds, no more software updates for you!

• Newbies

Hi Fitch,

Thanks for your reply. All machines running same version of Leopard (10.5.5), and none of the FMP installs have any additional plug-ins.

As I mentioned to Lee above, it's been a dream program for us (we started with FM3) and 6 does all we need and more so we never upgraded beyond that.

I do suspect and agree that it's probably a clash with the OS, because of the crash report (see response to Lee above), but that's mitigated by the fact that it ran fine on my machine and still runs fine on the others.

I notice the FM site lists v10.5, but that resellers are pushing FM9 and not mentioning FM10.

If we upgrade a single machine (we're all pinching pennies now) to 9 or 10 can those files be read by the machines we leave at FM6? Is the upgrade error free (at least as far as any upgrade cane be which includes the, I hear, dramatic changes FM made)?

Fixing 6 on my iMac would be the best solution, however.

Thanks,

Tom

All machines running same version of Leopard (10.5.5), and none of the FMP installs have any additional plug-ins.

It's still possible they might have different Java updates or who knows what installed. Have you tried reinstalling FileMaker?

I notice the FM site lists v10.5, but that resellers are pushing FM9 and not mentioning FM10.

FM10 doesn't officially exist yet; it's certainly not mentioned on FileMaker's website.

If we upgrade a single machine... to 9 or 10 can those files be read by the machines we leave at FM6?

No.

One alternative: if your solution is simple enough to move to IWP, you could host on one machine and others could access through their web browser.

Is the upgrade error free?

It's generally pretty smooth but you should expect to devote a little time to troubleshooting.

Fixing 6 on my iMac would be the best solution, however.

Depends what you mean by "best." In the long run, all computers die, or you will want to upgrade for other reasons. Plan accordingly.

• 1 month later...

Issue: during the creation of PDF files on OS X, filemaker becomes unresponsive and then crashes.

Cause: The Adobe font preferences have been corrupted.

Resolution: Navigate to /User/username/Library/Application Support/Adobe/TypeSPT

delete the file AdobeFnt##.lst

________

Secondly this could be a HD spin down issue. This is a common issue that after a certain time by default your mac turns off the HDs.

GO to system preferences / energy saver and turn off the option to turn off HD's.

This topic is 5633 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.