Can I open a browser with the page currently displayed in Webviewer?

rjc3000

This topic is 4028 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Can't seem to find this out -- 

If I am viewing a web page in webviewer (in Filemaker) is there any way to get that exact URL from the webviewer and open it in an external browser (i.e. Safari, Chrome)? I know the starting page already, but the user may have navigated away from that page when they want to open the external browser.

I have searched this site for an answer and also other FM resources on the web. Maybe I am using the wrong search terms? Seems like a straightforward thing -- I am viewing a page in Filemaker and I need to open that page in a stand alone browser. Click a button and voila! (?)

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

-Rob

just after posting it occurred to me I might use target="_blank" for the initial calculated <a href and that does indeed pop open the default browser. So question partially solved for some situations. 

Still interested in a more generic solution.. one that allows me to use an external browser to open up whatever page is currently being viewed in webviewer. 

Thanks in advance for any help..

-Rob

Hi Tim,

Thanks! Your phrase "URL extracted from the Web Viewer" led me to this..

http://fmforums.com/forum/topic/59194-can-filemaker-extract-a-url/ and a number of other handy resources.

Using GetLayoutObjectAttribute ( "loop_web_viewer" ; "source" ) does the trick.. 

I have been away from FMP for a while -- so many new toys! ;)

Thanks,

Rob

This topic is 4028 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.