How do I import global fields?

This topic is 4066 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am using FM 12 advanced

I have a Membership application.  It has a global table that holds things like:  Organization Name, Address, City, State, Zip, Phone etc...

The problem centers around the fact that there are multiple versions of the program.  If I 'release' version 22 it is released with sample data for first time users.  But, a previous user needs to import their data from the previous version 21. 

I just discovered tonight that my global table (which only holds global fields) has 18,000 records.... all duplicates .... :grad:  Yikes. 

This is the result of my treating the global table like any other table when I did my import.

post-72145-0-11644700-1364622833_thumb.j

But, I don't know the best way to a) delete all the fields in the target global table and then :cool: import the current record in the Source table.  I don't see any record level controls in the Import Script function... Or, am I missing something?

Your thoughts and ideas are appreciated.

Ron

I don't see any record level controls in the Import Script function... Or, am I missing something?

What would those be?  What are you looking for?

The typical approach when transferring data into a new version of the solution is to first script a delete of all the records in the new version and then import from the old one.

Absolutely right! 

urns out FM was right.  I *was* importing tens of thousands of records... all from the global table. 

I had neglected to delete the Global table PRIOR to importing it.  That meant that 1 record was copied and became 2.... 2 became 4... 4 became 8.... 8 became 16.....etc. 

Once I deleted all records in the global target table I still could not get the source table to import.... grrrrr....  Then I realized I needed a record set to import into.  So I just did a New Record/Request.

The import script looks like:

Go to Layout ["GlobalNew (Global)]

Import Records [No Dialog; $$path' Add; DOS OEM]

Delete All Records [No Dialog]    // deletes all records but since they are global they 'persist' in the table.  I 'still' don't get this?

New Record /Request    // makes the global values 'useable'

This sure does seem to work.  Is my reasoning sound?

Ron

I suggest that you do not rely on a table to store globals. For each global field, I have a corresponding non-global field in a separate Prefs table. I set the global fields to the non-global value in an Update Globals script, which is typically a subscript to my File>Open script.

And on the downside of storing 'globals' in a prefs table is that the 'true' globals must be initialised with a script - this won't happen have if your file is opened due to a relationship.

Effectively there's a script trigger that is missing - OnFileOpen.

It's always been missing.

This topic is 4066 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.