Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Safest way to design?

This topic is 3972 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Is there less chance of file damage or crashing if I

1. Only work with both files of a separation model on my desktop

2. Serve the files to local network that only I can access and design in them from there using Open Remote.

3. Other ways?

I figure if I crash, I will replace the files (separation) immediately anyway but I worry about served files potentially being more sensitive to damage even damage I may be unaware of happening.  Do I worry for nothing?

Either way I back up the files every half hour.  If served, I will use backup schedule and if on my desk, I use Save A Copy As.  I thought I read several months ago that working served is safer for the files than working on your desk system but I cannot find reference.

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  I spend all my time studying but it can be overwhelming.

As IdealData explained, using FileMaker Server is the more robust solution. Despite that, many developers work on files non-hosted anyway for a couple excuses. For those cases, this Local Backup module can be helpful.

• Like 1

Working on a hosted copy protects your files in case your local copy of FM crashes.  But... make sure your server is pretty close to you and that you use a wired connection (not wifi).

The biggest risk you are running is errors on committing schema changes (save a script, exit Define Database window, saving a layout,...).  To avoid that your connection to the FMS box has to be reliable.

• Like 2

Use FMServer to host, it is much more reliable. Remember it is designed to run as a mission critical system and has been designed accordingly.

Thank you, IdealData.  So is FMSever 'more reliable' than one's own desktop?  In event of a crash, you suggest that FMS is designed to handle it better because it is mission critical.  But I would trash the file regardless.  If FMS is more mission critical, might that mean that it will attempt to correct/save a 'questionable' situation and not even show it to the User at all when it is happening?  If something begins to 'go strange' on my desktop, I can trash the file instantly.

I figured out to turn off the auto restart in services on the FMS server box.  I ask these questions and make suppositions to more thoroughly understand what happens inside FM.

As IdealData explained, using FileMaker Server is the more robust solution. Despite that, many developers work on files non-hosted anyway for a couple excuses. For those cases, this Local Backup module can be helpful.

Great information, Jeremy, thank you very much.  So 'robust' means there would be less chance of hidden damage taking place while designing and it is served?  Do you mean less chance of CRASH if served?  Or less chance of damage?

Working on a hosted copy protects your files in case your local copy of FM crashes.  But... make sure your server is pretty close to you and that you use a wired connection (not wifi).

The biggest risk you are running is errors on committing schema changes (save a script, exit Define Database window, saving a layout,...).  To avoid that your connection to the FMS box has to be reliable.

Hello Wim, I appreciate the input.  So at the office where we have standard network, it would be best for me to work in schema on a served version of my master files but at home where my network is wifi (and not very good), work on the files locally?

FMS may help protect when there is a crash.  But if there is a crash, I will destroy the files anyway and use backup.  I want to know if there are ANY issues or brownouts and if it happens on the server, I may not see it!  If on my desktop while I am designing, I WOULD see it.  So would I rather trust a network or watching my own desktop?

This topic is 3972 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.